108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Microserver Gen8 FAN is running with 100 %

Marco84
Occasional Advisor

Microserver Gen8 FAN is running with 100 %

Hi Guys

not sure if this is the rigth community:

I get a Gen8 MicroServer for testing purposes and i installed Server 2012R2 on it.

It is up and running but the FAN is running with 100 % power..

CPU Load is about 5 %...

Any ideas ?

Thanks for your help from Germany

Marco

P.S. This thread has been moved from Servers > General to ProLiant Servers - Netservers. - Hp Forum Moderator

9 REPLIES 9
Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Re: Microserver Gen8 FAN is running with 100 %

Greetings!

Marco,

There are multiple reasons for this.

1. What is the version of iLO installed. Please check if iLO is updated, if not try updating the iLO and check the status.

2. Also if the server is placed on top of table or any dust can cause the fan speed high

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
Marco84
Occasional Advisor

Hi Renji,

the server is "out of the box", it is just 6 weeks old, so no dust ore something else inside ;-) And during a reboot the system temperatur shows 22° Celsius.

The iLo version is 2.02 , from Sep 05 2014, and as i can see, its the latest version.

Regards

Marco

Marco84
Occasional Advisor

Im sorry, just see the version 2.03..

Have installed it now, and the fan goes directly down...

Will have a look at this today and provide you feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Marco

Marco84
Occasional Advisor

Its me again,

after a while the fan goes again to 100 %....

iLo-Update does not solve the issue ;-(

Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Hello Marco,

Another reason for Fan running at high speed for Gen8 Microserver is due to the Smart arry controller settings.

SCOPE

Any HP ProLiant Gen8 server listed under Platforms Affected configured with the HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i or B320i Controller.

RESOLUTION

To reduce the higher fan speeds and noise in these configurations, perform the following:

1. Configure the HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller for Enable Dynamic HP Smart Array B120i RAID Support in the RBSU, and configure the HP Dynamic Smart Array B320i Controller for Enabled in the RBSU.

2. Download and install the HP B120i/B320i Dynamic Smart Array Controller driver.

Please refer the customer advisory below for detailed steps for fixing the issue:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04054419

I hope the info will help you.

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
Marco84
Occasional Advisor

Good afternoon,

im using the internal storage controller and have installed the latest driver.

When im swichting back to "legacy driver" in the BIOS setting, the fan works normal..

Regards

Marco

ComfySofa
Advisor

Hi there - just to bring this thread back to life ive got a Gen8 Microserver which is running at 100% to fix for a friend....as we're now in 2023 and there are no more firmware updates for it has anyone got a fix for this? Im in the middle of working on it and have offloaded all the data from the drives, switched it back to sata control and in the process of reloading windows back on to it. Im using the sata0 port with an ssd (no optical drive). If anyone managed to cure this id love to hear from them.

Thanks

Andy

Sunitha_Mod

Hello Andy,

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and guide you further.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
ComfySofa
Advisor

Well i did actually find the answer in the last few days through experimenting with different fans.....in the end ive used one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MQJGGVW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

You can actually squeeze a 140mm one in there (which is what im using for testing) its been on for about 3 days now. Ive been monitoring the heatmap in the ilo and everything is nominal. This is taken after being on 24 hours the cpu is a E3-1290 so the top one that runs the hottest. Ive used artic silver 5 for the heatsink - overnight its been re-encoding a 4k film back down to 1080 and is replicating 11TB over to the back up drive as well. Currently the HDD array is making more noise than the server so all good. There is also a p1000 graphics card in there for GPU offload for plex.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1290 V2 @ 3.70GHz

HeatMap2.jpg