1748202 Members
3111 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Netserver 5/100 LH not booting

Ken McClenithan
Occasional Contributor

Netserver 5/100 LH not booting

Working for a Non-profit company that was just donated a Netserver 5/100 LH (I know its old). I can get a BIOS and Ram count on power up, it then goes to black screen. No floppy access to setup BIOS. I have un pluged and removed all cards and drives (except floppy), reset jumpers to default, replaced floppy drive (just to be sure). I downloaded the ECU and Netserver Utilities but can not load them, due to floppy not initilizing. Inserted an ISA IDE I/O with floppy connection, still no access or init. Is it Dead? If so, can I replace the Main board with something a little newer?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Netserver 5/100 LH not booting

Did you try downloading the latest BIOS for the system?

The trick with these older servers that use the ECU is that the BIOS has to be at the same level as the ECU used to configure the system. So, if you downloaded the latest ECU, you should go ahead and flash to the latest BIOS as well.

You can download the latest ECU & BIOS for the LH at:

http://h20004.www2.hp.com/keeper_rnotes/bsdmatrix/matrix50447.html
Ken McClenithan
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alicia,

As I stated in my previous request for help, I have no floppy access. I have the latest verison of the ECU, but can not use the floppy drive. I have also tried booting from CD. But, without drivers loading, the CD is useless. I have a key on order, hopeing that the lock will engage the floppy drives. I have received conflicting replies from HP about the fuctionality of the floppy with this lock being in the "locked" position. Some say that it does not have anything to do with the access of floppy drives and keyboard, and only there to lock the hot swap drives in place. Others say that, Yes it does lock out the drive, keyboard and mouse. So, to answer the "Unknown question" of lock operations, I have ordered a key. $6.36, man if thats all it takes, I will feel really dumb. When the key gets in, I will post my answer here.

Thanks for the help.

Ken.
CA660377
Honored Contributor

The key only works for locking the hotswap HDD so they can not be removed. A keyboard lock is usually just a button on the server, and does only that, lock out the keyboard.

Look for the system switches on the system. With the server off, move the switch labeled config valid to the on position, boot the server. At the end of post, power the system down, place the config valid to off, then boot the server again.

If this doesn't work, I would say there is something either wrong with the floppy controller, or the ability of the system to hand off boot. Either way it is probably an issue with the system board. Hope this helps.
Ken McClenithan
Occasional Contributor

Hi Theo and Alicia,
Thanks for the assist. Theo as you stated, the key only locks the drives. I ordered one from HP, when it came I tried again to get the system to work. Still, no such luck. I still have no floppy access. I tried new cables, new drive, and even a different power lead. I have cleard switch 3 several times and still no change. Short of filling it with concrete and making a boat anchor of it, I am at the end of the rope. Should anyone have some other idea, Im open.

Thanks again.
CA660377
Honored Contributor

I am thinking the floppy controller on the system board is dead. You could try and get a new one from http://www.pmount.com

You may also try and find a PCI based floppy controller.