1751934 Members
5084 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

New to SB servers.

STS_JSJ

New to SB servers.

Never set up a server or worked with Linux before, pretty competent with computers and can handle the learning curve.  A small business application to store payroll records and CadCam/3D Modeling files to be accessed from a remote workstation, modified, and saved.  Just to get started for now this is what I am thinking of buying and installing Ubuntu Server LTS: 

HP ProLiant 4U Micro Tower Server - 1 x Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 3.10 GHz 724977-S01

It will run from my home with a consistent 85 - 110+ MBPS standard residential hardwired modem.  I realize this is a minimalist approach for now but does anybody see any major flaws with my line of thinking?  Security is a must so VPN,  which I believe is included with the Ubuntu package, for a total of four to six users will be implemented.  Planning on 2 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Sata III SSDs, one for OS, one for daily backups plus an external HD as a second backup.  My understanding is not much ram is required for server applications and I see this server listed as 2GB ram but in a questions section someone replied it came with 4GB ram.

Thank you.

Technical Details

Processor 3.10 GHz Intel Xeon RAM 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM Hard Drive 0 GB Graphics Coprocessor Integrated Chipset Brand Intel
Brand Name HP Item model number 724977-S01 Hardware Platform PC Operating System None Item Weight 35.6 pounds Item Dimensions L x W x H 23 x 19.50 x 13 inches Processor Brand Intel Processor Count 2 Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA