3669 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 1600 Will not boot

asnoble
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 1600 Will not boot

Hi,

I have seen a few articles on this particualr model on the site, but need some additional help. Mine powers up, but I get no display. Everything that I can see is hooked up. Am I supposed to have 2 voltage regulators? I have also tried plugging in an PCI video card and am getting the same thing. IMAG0161.jpg

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) to ProLiant Servers - Netservers. -HP Forum Moderator
5 REPLIES 5
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I haven't seen the inside of one of thos systems in years. If I recall, you only need the 2nd VR module if you have a 2nd CPU

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
asnoble
Occasional Contributor

What can I check to rule some of the things out?
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Looks like you have the 2nd CPU installed without the casing around it.

Both CPUs will need to be exactly the same (which will be difficult to tell with no casing on the 2nd one)

You'll also need a 2nd VRM unit installed which it looks like you dont have at the moment...

I'd try booting it with only one CPU / VRM and the minimum amount of RAM needed (the label on the inside of the cover should help you with this)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

@Mark Matthews:

The "CPU without casing" seems to be only barely half the height of the black CPU module support posts. The layout of the components on the visible side of it seems more like a row of small components than a single big chip with auxilliaries.

I would guess that the "casing-less CPU" is actually a CPU bus terminator, which was required in an unpopulated CPU slot in some models.

MK
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Ahh, well remembered Matti.
You're probably correct, its been a long time since I've seen one of these old servers!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)