ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753425 Members
5140 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 5500 fan issues

Mike_755

Proliant 5500 fan issues

I have a 5500 giving me headaches. After routine fan replacement I continue to get "1611" errors on POST even though fans are present and new out of the box. The new units do not power on and have been tested and in good condition. Does anyone know the signal which should be present on each of the 4 lines from the harness? Is there a "reset" function somewhere on the peripheral board? Any information at all would be helpful. Even a wiring diagram of the pinouts coming from the peripheral board would allow me to diagnose the board itself.

thx
4 REPLIES 4
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Mike:

I have a fear there may be a "deeper" issue at work here...

I need you to pull the Peripheral Board from the server and inspect the connectors leading to the fans and power switch. Look for "melt". Yes Melted plastic or cabling.

Next, look at the bus connector... do you see any burned edges or chared marks along the gold leads?

Next, look at the main board bus slot where the peripheral board plugs into. Once again, look for chared edges or melted plastic.

http://h200007.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_328691-002_rev4_us_part8/TPM_328691-002_rev4_us_part8.pdf
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Mike_755

I thought the same thing at first but upon further review, was pleasantly surprised to not find a burned trace or any signs of "heat". By the way, table 4-3 of the URL you sent me, to use switch 6, unit unplugged or plugged in to wall power? I would usually say unlugged from wall power but thought I would ask.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Mike:

Were any of the power connections loose on the Peripheral Board? (see #13 on the image)

Do you have any interlock errors showing on the mainboard LED's?

To activate the SW1 S6 you need to power on and then off. Reset the switch.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Mike_755

I have no interlock LEDs lit, all power connections seem tight as can be expected,... I put a meter to the leads on power up and get between 6 and 7 volts out of two of the leads (correspond to yellow and red on the Nidec fan) and 0 out of the two remaining leads. The Nidec TA450DC shows option -57A on the sticker and of course this corresponds to nothing on the Nidec site. -57A is not an available option. The circuit logic must have two points ie failover and either RPM or therm sense. Im thinking along the lines that once one fan fails, the redundant takes over and an error log is created. There must be a way to reset the config to original settings or use of primary I/O and CPU fans again with failover being an option again. I know this server was shipped without the failover fans, failover being an upgrade option thus the config must exist I need to know how to get back to it. A detailed wiring diagram would save my life right now and the procedure to reset the fan config to original settings would help greatly.

I should note that the error msgs upon start up DO detect proper fan locations as I try a different gang of wires in combinations if that makes any difference. IE "cpu redundant fan failure" "I/O primary fan failure" etc.

thx again