1751700 Members
5342 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Question for HP experts about ESXi storage driver hpsva

ArnisR
Advisor

Question for HP experts about ESXi storage driver hpsva

Why latest ESXi 6.0 driver hpsva (version ...092) performs so slowly on Microserver Gen8 (1610T)?

Downgrading to version 088 resolves speed problem.

WBR
Arnis

8 REPLIES 8
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

Re: Question for HP experts about ESXi storage driver hpsva

Can I know wich Smart array card are you using on your Microserver Gen8 ?

ArnisR
Advisor

B120i

bala_reguraman
HPE Pro

Hi,

I just want to know the image that is installed on this server is HP Esxi image or Vmware Esxi image.

Regards,

Bala

ArnisR
Advisor

Both HP ESXi images from 15 and 30 March has issue (clean install on SD card).

Numerous users report this.
There is one thread - http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9141-low-io-performance-with-esxi-60/?p=99212

zgarenm
Occasional Advisor

Hello ! 

I am not sure if it's a known issue but can you please share with us how did you checked that there's a IO performance with your server? is it during OS boot? during Operation? 

How did you measured that? is there any screenshot can be shared with us from vSphere client performance tab?

can you share also vm-support log with latest driver and another vm-support log with previous version 

thank you 

I am an HP employee
Jags_21
HPE Pro

Hi Arnis,

I believe this server is with Celeron which are not supported offical for VMware 6.0 and offical supported Processors are Intel Xeon E3-1220L v2 processors.

Click here for the latest HP VMware Recipe.

Suggest try to update the latest BIOS firmware and If you have installed non hp custom image, try new installation with the latest HP custom Image (hp-build- 600.9.2.38- 2159203).

And if hpvsa-5.5.0-88 version works better, I think that should be good enough for now.

Thanks

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

ArnisR
Advisor

@zgarenm wrote:

Hello ! 

I am not sure if it's a known issue but can you please share with us how did you checked that there's a IO performance with your server? is it during OS boot? during Operation? 

How did you measured that? is there any screenshot can be shared with us from vSphere client performance tab?

can you share also vm-support log with latest driver and another vm-support log with previous version 

thank you 

I have single SSD (Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB) configured as RAID0 on SATA2 (ODD) port and two HDDs configured with RAID1 and RAID0 arrays on SATA3 ports.
I measured speed in two VMs: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (latest patches) with dd comand
and in Windows TP10 with HDtune.

Ubuntu writing speeds ar more or less ok, but reading speads from SSD or HDD was very low and identical - 22.5-22.8 MB/s. After downgrading to driver 088, SSD reading speed improves where it should be - 270 MB/s.

HD Tune results You can see in attachment. 34 GB virtual disk is on SSD datastore, 17 GB - on HDD RAID1 datastore.

ArnisR
Advisor

@Jags_21 wrote:

Hi Arnis,

I believe this server is with Celeron which are not supported offical for VMware 6.0 and offical supported Processors are Intel Xeon E3-1220L v2 processors.

I saw the same complaint about low I/O from Xeon user.