1753338 Members
4908 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Setting scsi id on netserver disks

Mat Withers

Setting scsi id on netserver disks

Hi

I've got 4 Netserver LPrs all with 2 disks in the hotswappable bays. for some reason one of them has changed the SCSI ids from 0 and 1 to 10 and 11 and I can't work out why or how to change the back.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Mat
5 REPLIES 5
CA612148
Occasional Advisor

Re: Setting scsi id on netserver disks

Mat,

It has been quite some time since I have worked with Netservers, but if my memory serves me right there is a utility on the Netserver Navigator CD that allows you to set the SCSI IDs as well as configure RAID. It should also be on the system partition if you created one.

--Joe
Mat Withers

hmmm - I thought that may be the case. unfortunately I bought these netservers second hand a while ago at auction and they came without software.

is the utility I need downloadable ?

thanks for your help

Mat
meloni
Honored Contributor

hi
first, where are the hdd connected to ?
-inside netserver is present an integrated symbios controller.
-some time a netraid card is added to controll hdd.

if the hdd are connected to the scsi controller, then you have to see the hdd in the bios of the controller, accessing with CTRL-C at boot time.

if the hdd are connected to a netraid controler, you can access in the BIOS with CTRL-M at boot time. if you have no data on the hdd, try to perform a clear configuration, the hdd should appear as "ready" in express tools.

anyway, the scsi id usualy is setted on the backplane of hdd cage and cannot be changed,
if you see the hdd in a different scsi id, probably the backplane or the scsi cable is defective.

bye

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Mat Withers

Meloni

Both drives are connected to the integrated symbios controller. I have checked the controller settings (via CTRL-C at boot time) but there is no where there to change the ID of the drives.

I've tried changing the SCSI cable but it didn't fix the problem.

I'll take a closer look at the backplace and try swapping one out of a different server to see if the problem is solved.

Can anyone else verify that this is probably a hardware problem ?

Mat
Mat Withers

ok - as a follow up I have removed the small card at the far end of the SCSI backplace marked "SCSI MNGMNT". Now the SCSI id's for the disks are back to normal and the netserver seems to operate normally. The only side effect seems to be that the lights on the front of the disk sleds seem to have stopped working.

Should the machine work ok without this card in or will I see any other problems ?

Cheers

Mat