3954 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Smart Array p222

indiestor
Occasional Contributor

Smart Array p222

Hello guys,

I wondered if anybody here had any experience with the Smart Array p222?

I'll be using it with a gen8 microserver with 4 x 4TB Hitachi 6Gbps drives, setup as a RAID-5.

In the past I've always used high end 3ware and Adaptec controllers for my application, which is video storage, but in this instance I'm after something a little smaller than a 2/3u rack and the combination of the products mentioned above seems like a nice low end solution.

So I guess its fair to say that the p222 is the real unknown for me!

There is a HPSA driver in Debian, which is a great start, and I know HP have been working to make the management tools available to folks using OSes in the stable (well Ubuntu).

So any ideas on the kind of performance I might expect? The workload is focussed on sequential/sustained access (i.e. video streams) rather than many small read/writes.

Is it customary to only use HP drives with these controllers?

Anybody tried using the Debian/Ubuntu OTB driver with this card?

Cheers,

Alex

P.S. This thread has been moved from Servers > General to ProLiant Servers - Netservers. - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I have other Smart Array controller running in CentOS and Ubuntu and have had no real problems.

Here is a spec page for your card if you are interested:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#!spectype=worldwide&type=html&docid=14227

What you will also want in HP's ACU software for Linux.  HP states there is support for RH and SuSE, but it works with other builds as well.  This will allow for management of the array controller from the OS level.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
indiestor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply, its good to know that somebody else has experience of using the smart array product line with Ubuntu.

I checked the product bulletin, but there seems to be a lack of support for 4TB drives. I wonder if HP will address this with a firmware at some point.