ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1748216 Members
3496 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 on HP Microserver (N36L, N40L, N54L)

oceang
Frequent Visitor

I can confirm that this new BIOS fixes the problems with both Windows Server 2012 R2 (with Essentials Role) and also with Windows 8.1.

For the time being, I have dropped using the "Hacked" BIOS (which I use to put my OS drive in the ODD bay), and have reverted to HP's new standard BIOS in order to get the onboard NIC working.

BTW, I am also using the latest 64 bit Broadcom driver version 16.2.0.4b, which I downloaded from the Broadcom site.

SplatMan_DK
Occasional Visitor

Just an update for everybody else comming across this thread in the future:

You likely can't get to the firmware now, because the support has "expired" on your product. So in essence, the firmware update just sits there in the download section but you can't download it without purchasing a new HP support agreement.

Incidently such an agreement costs roughly 80% the price of a whole new server, making it totally pointless to buy it.

I am honestly extremely dissapointed by HP's move to require an "active support agreement" in order to provide me with a firmware. I cannot use this firmware without being a HP customer; it is only usable for my HP product. You already took my money - so why not help me, and keep me as a happy customer? If you absolutely MUST charge for firmware downloads then the very least you could do is making the price acceptable. As it stands now the price for me is 140 USD less than the cost of a brand new server.

So that is what I will do. Get a nother server that is. I will sell my HP Microserver on eBay and purchase something else, since this one apparently can't get Windows 2012 R2 installed.

And no, the next one won't be a HP.

This new and extremely customer-hostile policy is a real dealbreaker for me. I will take my business to someone who values me as a customer.

Luxaetern
Occasional Visitor

You don't need a active SA, just download it from the PUBLIC FTP!!

Go to the page which describes the Package you want to download and look for the Setupname.

For the Bios this would be "SP64420.exe".

Now go to one of the online ftp index services and search for SP64420.

My favorite Indexer is "NAPALM" http://www.search-ftps.com/.

This works with the most Packages from HP and others.

Hope I can help someone with this :-)

Regards,

LuxAetern.

AS.:Sry for my English ^^

mikster22
Occasional Visitor

hi, so i started trying to install Windows Server 2012 r2 x64 standard, i sucesfully installed on to a new SSD by disabling the NIC from the BIOS, HDD still do not show up, so i need to download some more drivers but here is the bios update i found: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-windows/p1657370250/v93269/SP64420.exe 

which is this bios update documented here: https://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=4310887&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253DMTX_57720d956df94dfcbaa0e28256%257CswEnvOID%253D4139%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vi... <- that second link might not work but its just the discription page.

Loui3

Since I upgraded to the new BIOS my network is not working. Now i'm wondering if I should just load the default driver for the Microserver see if that works... Any update on this issue yet?
MarkRadaba
Occasional Visitor

Does anyone know where I can download the updated BIOS for the ProLIant MicroServer N40L?  I bought this server in 2011 and my warranty has since expired.  I'm trying to upgrade the OS to Server 2012 R2, and I'm hitting this well documented issue of the NIC card driver/BIOS issue.

It's heartbreaking that HP won't even allow you to download a driver if your warranty has expired.  I believe this came with a 1-year warranty, which doesn't give a customer long to download updated drivers, especially when HP's technical papers and driver/BIOS alerts are not very clear.

Any help would be appreciated!

Pog60

I've just contacted HP although it now seems to be all premium 0845 numbers only!

Having advised many clients to purchase HP servers, because of their reliabilty. I was horrified to find that I am unable to get a BIOS upgrade or drivers on our training/demo/test Microservers, so we can start to play with Server 2016. I wish I had known this a month ago as we sold 2 high end HP servers which we may not be able to support in a couple of years time.

If this is a ploy to sell more servers due to the cloud reducing sales, then it will backfire as we have just bought our fist Fujitsu server and it's brilliant!

I am speechless with the change!

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

ROM updates do require a valid warranty or service contract, (in some cases ROM updates are made available to all customers). Driver updates are available to all customers.

I don't recall the date when this was put into effect, but it was early in 2014. All the information is listed here: http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04044353

This snippet shows the pertinent detail:

Access to HPE support materials applies to all ProLiant generations and includes downloads on HPE Support Center (HPESC) ( click here to go to the HPE Support Center ) for BIOS System ROM & Complex Programmable Logic Device (CPLD). These downloads are classified as BIOS System ROM.

Validation is not required for iLO, controller components either embedded or external to the system board, drivers or any other download content in the Drivers, Software & Firmware section of HPESC. тАЬCriticalтАЭ related firmware updates (addressing safety and security fixes) will be made available to all ProLiant customers outside of a warranty or support contract and are governed by "customer terms of use".

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
RobC0704

I think this is the first time I have ever seen this and we buy alot of enterprise class hardware including HPE products. The ROM in question is required to use onboard harware with any OS newer than 2008 R2.  This will definitely impact our future buying of HP products. We simply will not take the chance that our hardware will no longer work the way it should because we can't get a simple rom update.