1753366 Members
5748 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Storage Gateway - Mirroring or CA

Kyle Weir
Advisor

HP Storage Gateway - Mirroring or CA

I currently have HP Continous Access replicating my fileserver data from my one site to another. (all connected via direct fiber, 4GB FC speed) it's in a VM.
I am replacing the existing fileserver vm with two x3800 storage gateway servers in a cluster setup. Running windows 2008 Storage Server.
I want to have it so if either EVA or either server goes down it will maintain running all services without intervention.
Here's my problem:
With CA I would need to go in and tell the EVA to fail over to the othersite if needbe and rescan the bus. (let me know if I'm wrong here)
The alternate option I've thought of is to have 2 luns presented to both servers, one from each EVA. Then I have windows mirror them (yeah I know software mirroring isn't very fast) Once mirrored the disks will be available regardless of which EVA is running.

I would prefer to somehow have windows realize that the lun's weren't available, connect to the EVA, and failover the LUN's and then rescan the HBA, but this would all have to be done before the 60 second timeout and somehow be reliable.

\Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.