HPE ProLiant Storage Systems
1748035 Members
4847 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P812 - external ports disabled after firmwar upgrade. How to enable?

petterg
Visitor

P812 - external ports disabled after firmwar upgrade. How to enable?

We have an smart array P812 controller with 4 internal disks (2TB) and 8 external (1,5TB), all sata.

The controller is not used for boot, just storage.

So I called HP support and asked if the controller would handle disks larger than 2TB, as we need more storage and thought about buying some 3 or 4TB disks. The answere was "yes but you'll need to upgrade the firmware".

Today, just after business hours I did the firmware upgrade. Upgrade seemed to be sucessfull, but now none of the external disks are detected, not even in bios. It kind of looks like all the external ports got disabled.

How do I enable the ports?

Or how do I downgrade firmware? (The older version firmware claim there is no supported hardware in the server.)

9 REPLIES 9
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

In what kind of chassis are the external disks located?

What type of new disks (model) are you using?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
petterg
Visitor

Chassis is a dumb box (labled Techraid) that basically act as a sas->4x sata cable with a power supply.

There are two chassis, 4 disk slots in each. Disks are seagate barracuda 7200.11.

petterg
Visitor

So there must be a bug in firmware for P812. Thanks to Gustav at HP support I got links to the firmware dvd downloads. This is what I learned:

Firmware DVD 9.30, P812 firmware version 3.?: Exsternal ports OK, no support for 2+TB hd
Firmware DVD 10.00, P812 firmware version 5.14: Exsternal ports OK, supports 4TB hd
Firmware DVD 10.10, P812 firmware version 5.70: Exsternal ports DISABLED
P812 firmware version 6.00, from the products drivers page: Exsternal ports DISABLED

Firmware DVD downloadpage (links for version history is to be found on the page):

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3279711&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253DMTX_9ed665a89aba447d925937f38b%257CswEnvOID%253D4064%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vig...

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

How about version 6.40 (B)?

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=4103887&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswEnvOID%253D4064%257CswLang%253D%257Caction%253DlistDriver&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken#Firmware%20-%20Storage%20Controller

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

petterg
Visitor

6.40 seems to be distributed for linux only. Do you know of a linux live cd that will work for installing the firmware? Will knoppix work?

(I'll try it the next time I'm onsite.)

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Many ways to update firmware.

If you have an older firmware CD or the current SPP, just use the included USB Key Tool to copy the CD/image to an USB drive. Then just add the linux *.scexe file to /hp/swpackages and boot from this device.

Here is the Windows file for 6.40 (B):

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3884320&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253DMTX_76b3f51ab60c4d4397d7688103%257CswEnvOID%253D4138%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vig...

File name: cp020067.exe (5.7 MB)   File name:

cp020067.md5 (48 Bytes)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

petterg
Visitor

Thanks, but that link takes me to the same 6.00 that I used when the problem occurred.

Nice to know the trick to add scexe to the firmware dvd.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

IIRC version 6.40 was pulled from the web because of problems, replaced by 6.40 (B), but I cannot find it right now.

Try the linux version.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

adminD

A big thanks to petterg & Gustav.

Without the information and the tests I could not have addressed my external media via the controller "HP Smart Array P812" again.

I have tested the current firmware "871790_001_spp-2016.10.0-SPP2016100.2016_1015.191.iso" with the controller in an HP Proliant DL380 G5 so also G6 without success.

Even the latest firmware 6.42b does not make any success with external "NOT HP" devices for the SmartArray P812.

But the firmware 5.14 really works. If I still stumble on problems, I will leave a message here.

By the way, for the very untrained here is a tip:
- Install the controller in the server and perform the downgrade (see appropriate options)
- Remove the P812 controller from the server
- Perform the Server upgrade with latest firmware ISO (via USB stick 8GB)
- Reassemble the P812 controller
-> And now fun