Protect Your Assets
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Security…and the people that should know better

markpainter ‎11-11-2013 09:09 AM - edited ‎09-16-2015 04:41 PM

When I wrote about how security measures are constantly being undermined by the human element, I thought I had a good handle on how pervasive the problem is. I was wrong. Turns out even NSA staffers aren't immune to a call from their 'IT' department 'needing' their passwords.   A group dedicated to classified information would seemingly know how to hold on to their personal logins. Not so much, apparently.

One of my favorite industry quotes of all times is "Security is a process, not a product.” At the time, Schneier was talking about the imperfection of software in general and how no one product can solve such a complex riddle, especially when dealing with security. The obvious 2013 corollary, though, is that until human nature is better accounted for in security processes, the threat of exploitation will remain as much within as without. The frightening part is it’s not for a lack of effort.   

0 Kudos
About the Author

markpainter

Events
Aug 29 - Sep 1
Boston, MA
HPE Big Data Conference 2016
Attend HPE’s Big Data Conference on August 29 - September 1, 2016 to learn from peers in every industry and hear from Big Data experts and thought lea...
Read more
Sep 13-16
National Harbor, MD
HPE Protect 2016
Protect 2016 is our annual conference on September 13 - 16, 2016, and is the place to meet the world’s top information security talent, discuss new pr...
Read more