Re: ILO default password

ausrasul

Life saver, thanks!!

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

If you have an Ilo that you don't know the password of and the OS is still installed. Install the HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility for Windows. From here you can config network and change the password of the Administrator user.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
thestevinator

Correct, top of the lid. Its still there on servers purchased in 2014. Just had to slide my rack mount server a few inches out to see it.
dextrovix

@Andrew_Haak wrote:
Hello there,

If you have an Ilo that you don't know the password of and the OS is still installed. Install the HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility for Windows. From here you can config network and change the password of the Administrator user.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, that was good advice as the server was already booted into Windows. The HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility allowed me to change the password without a server reboot, thus no distruption to users.

Keith Sauer
Occasional Contributor

Does this work if the server is running VMWare ESXi 5.0?  Is there a vmware based utility or can this be installed to a windows VM running on esxi?

What happened to me to mitigate a security vulnerability scan, I enabled FIPS mode and AES 256bit encryption.  Also disabled IPMI to mitigate the cipher-0 vulnerability.  However after agreeing to reset the iLO, and waiting, the iLo page no longer accepts our custom ilo admin user and password.  Also all of a suddon the certificate is no longer trusted and its like it chagned the cert to an HP generated one, rather than the one from our CA that we had installed prior.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I don't think VMware has the CHIF driver that is required for the utility to access iLO via the OS

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Chris Davenport
Advisor

FIPS standards require clearing all "security parameters" in cluding names, passwords, keys, and certificates.

So when iLO enters FIPS mode, it will reset the name/passwords to defaults.  You have to recreate your accounts after the iLO is in FIPS mode.

krzysztoflaskow
Occasional Visitor

hm

tallship
Collector

If you go in from the local console w/F8, you can set your network settings (Whether you're a DHCP client or what your static IP, Mask, etc. will be in the Network settings. In the User settings, you can add users by username and password to the list of accounts with access to iLO.

I mention this because, if the default password (on the tag or sticker of the server) has been changed, and you don't want to reset everything back to defaults, you can merely add the user here instead of going back to the very start.

At that point, you'll be able to access iLO remotely with the username password, and IP address that you have set.

Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services
http://NorthTech.US
TEL: