7784 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 5900 or HP 5400l to Test OpenFlow v1.3

JoonKim
Occasional Contributor

HP 5900 or HP 5400l to Test OpenFlow v1.3

Hello, 

I want to test OpenFlow v1.3 functionality in HP switch products, and I see there are lots of options. Currently, I have an opportunity to do a test with an HP 5400zl or HP 5900. My question is, is there a difference between the two models in terms of supported OpenFlow v1.3 features? I am wondering this because the HP 5900 is Comware-based, which is different with HP 5400zl.

Does anyone know which one is more representative of HP's overall OpenFlow v1.3 support (and future support), if there is a difference between the two? 

Thanks,

Joon

2 REPLIES 2
Carlos
Frequent Advisor

Joon,

Thank you for contacting the HP SDN support site. HP does not provide any matrix on OpenFlow support difference between switches. The major difference between the two switches is that HP 59xx only supports OpenFlow 1.3. Some of the HP OpenFlow documentation provide you with some information about each switch support.

You can download the 'HP Switch Software OpenFlow v1.3 Administrator Guide K/KA/WB 15.17' and check page 11 for supported features on the 5400zl switch.

From page 11:
Unsupported features:
• OFPP TABLE action.
• Set-Queue action.
• Handling of IP Fragments: OFPC_IP_REASM/OFPC_FRAG_REASM.
◦ Push-MPLS, Set MPLS TTL, Decrement MPLS TTL actions
◦ Push-PBB action
◦ Copy TTL outwards, Copy TTL inwards actions
◦ Set queue action
• Some commands for port modification from a controller:
◦ OFPPC_NO_STP
◦ OFPPC_NO_RECV
◦ OFPPC_NO_RECV_STP
◦ OFPPC_NO_FWD

You can also download the 'HP SDN Controller and Applications Support Matrix' and check under '1.6 Supported network switches'.  Here you will find all the switches and what is supported.

I hope the above helps.

Best Regards,

Carlos

CoE SDN Team

JoonKim
Occasional Contributor

Carlos, 

Thank you for the reply. The explanation and pointers help a lot! 

Thanks,

Joon