108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup and recovery

dave broome_1
Advisor

Backup and recovery

HP D_370
HPUX 10.20

We have a full system backup scheduled to run once a week. I did not set the job up. I can see the job through SAM backup and recovery -> automated backups. Our backup runs out of tape space before completing. The strange thing is that the index file I create which lists the content of the tape does not match the "files to backup" on the job in SAM, i.e there are directories included on the tape that I cannot see included in the backup job?? I can see what area is blowing the tape backup but if that area of disk is not included in the "files to backup" then how do I exclude them to get a full, clean backup??

Any thoughts???

Dave
7 REPLIES 7
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Tom Jackson
Valued Contributor

Hi Dave:

If I were you, I would start over with backups. You can comment out the current crontab entry as a safety net, then I would try to develop a new backup strategy and process.

First, I would make an ignite tape for your root volume. This is your system and applications recovery tape.

Next, you need to backup data with scheduled backups. Hopefully your disk partitions aren't larger than your tape capacity.

If you can't fit all of your data on a single tape then I would stagger the backups so that half of the disks/partitions are backed up in one job, then the other half are backed up in a separate job. Make sure you use the compressed device.

To
Stanimir
Trusted Contributor

Hi!
I thing nothing is wrong with your system.
Check again your "graphfile" and it's "i" and "e"-indexes. Try to do new backup.
If need, show here the contents of "graphfile"
and the row,used in cron.
Regards.

dave broome_1
Advisor

Here are the contents of the graph file ...
i /
i /stand
i /var
i /usr
i /users
i /tmp
i /oracle
i /opt
i /home
i /u01
i /u02
i /u03
i /u04
i /u05
i /u06

The area that gets included is /source, as you can see it doesn't appear in the above list.

dave

dave broome_1
Advisor

what is meant by "i" and "e"-indexes??
john korterman
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,
i means include, e would mean exclude, e.g.:
e /source
which will exclude /source. As you have included the root directory and not explicitly excluded /source, it will probably be included in the backup.

regards,
John K.
it would be nice if you always got a second chance
dave broome_1
Advisor

thanks for that, I'll give it a try.