New Discussion юеВ

Can I unlock root as another superuser?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Elmore
Frequent Advisor

Can I unlock root as another superuser?

Greetings Folks,

The root account on my trusted HP-UX 11.23 server has been disabled, but I still have full access to another superuser account (ID 0) on the same server. I tried to use the passwd root command from the other superuser account to change the password but I get access denied. Is there a less painful way to unlock the account other than rebooting to single user mode? Thanks in advance.

Very Respectfully,
Chris Elmore
"Life is love and love is life"
2 REPLIES 2
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Can I unlock root as another superuser?

Hi Chris:

Names don't matter; numbers do (the uid of zero), in this case. The superuser is defined as a uid=0.

Reboot to single user mode and correct your problem. *THEN* remove the duplicate uid=0 account before you (or some poor soul who follows you) does the following:

# find / -user someaccount -exec rm -rf {} \+

...where "someaccount" just happens to be the forgotten, duplicate superuser account. The above command translates to:

# find / -user root ...

Regards!

...JRF...
Chris Elmore
Frequent Advisor

Re: Can I unlock root as another superuser?

Aloha Good Sir,

I honestly appreciate your sage advice. I've run across the same basic message from the other established HP ITRC gurus and I'm sure it's for good reason. I've got the root account up and running again and I want you to know that I do appreciate your help. Please take care.

Regards,
Chris
"Life is love and love is life"