8208 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Change password of openVMS by a windows utlity

nandha
Occasional Contributor

Change password of openVMS by a windows utlity

Hi ,

Could anyone help me in the below query.

We are having a Business application which is running in a Windows NT machine (developed in C++/VC++), and Data base (DB) is in openVMS,

And through ODBC connection our application talks to VMS and get the data.

If the password of VMS expire are not able to do anything through ODBC, we just get a message says that password expires,

So now we are suppose to develop a utility to our business application (Windows NT), which will communicate to the VMS and change the password of VMS. (This is not for any 3rd party.., it is for ourself, and no problem with the security issue all this machine are in our LAN connection, so no issue about the security and hacking password)

i tried coding by connected to the Telnet (using port 23) and using new_passowrd i tried changing the password, hmm.. it was a crude way i wrote the program..,

i would like to get some more information about the step to do this and also about the error's to be handled.

Thanks and Regards
Nandha

4 REPLIES 4
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: Change password of openVMS by a windows utlity

Are you sure that you mean the VMS password ?

ODBC on Sybase needs the Sybase user passward. There is nothing defined on VMS level.

Wim
Wim
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Nandha,

If security does not matter (a conclusion that I disagree with), then there is no reason to write a utility to change the password from a Windows system.

Either:

- disable password expiry
- create shadow accounts for each user (same information as the regular account, but limited to use by ODBC or whatever) that do not change passwords.

As I noted, I do not agree with the statement "since we are all on our LAN, passwords do not matter". Security is about insiders and outsiders, with insiders responsible for most misbehavior. SSL and other technologies are highly appropriate inside of the organization as well. Use of someone else's username and password is highly useful to a staff member wishing to do something inappropriate and NOT suffer the blame.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
nandha
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your replys,

Ya its openVMS password,

i'll be able to change my login password of VMS through a external application(windows application).

My requirement is i am suppose to develop a application using VC++, The input parameter will be VMS User ID , Old Password, New password, VMS IP address and port 23 (for Telnet)..

and if i press change password button on my VC++ application the openVMS system password will be changed for my login id.

Please let me know wht all i have to follow to implement this applicaion.

Regards
Nandha
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Nandha,

It appears that there are three virtually identical posts on this question.

Hein and John have already answered at length in the other thread.

As a courtesy to other readers of this forum, may I suggest that you "Lock" this and the other thread, redirecting readers to the third thread.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com