Operating System - HP-UX
1753278 Members
5516 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How obsolete is the trusted mode?

How obsolete is the trusted mode?

When HP-UX 11.31 had been released it was stated that trusted mode would be obsolete and that it would eventualy disapear from HP-UX. Trusted mode should be replaced with userdb, /etc/security.dsc, /etc/default/security and /etc/shadow. However, today I have installed a new HP-UX 11.31 September 2010 system and I realised I am not able to enforce password policies (eg. min password length) to root user without converting the system to trusted mode.

Does anybody know, what is the current status of trusted system? Or what are the best practices for configuring a "secure" system?

And in respect to that question, how can I enforce min. password length for root without converting to trusted mode?

A quote from 'man security':
MIN_PASSWORD_LENGTH

This attribute controls the minimum length of new
passwords. On trusted systems it applies to all
users. On standard systems it applies to non-root
local users and to NIS users.
9 REPLIES 9
Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor

Re: How obsolete is the trusted mode?

Trusted mode had been disappeared on hp-ux 11.31. Not all the functionalities transferred to userdb. In /etc/security.dsc file you can see what you can do as per-user, system-wide, etc... For example we have a problem with disabling password aging for specific users, it was possible in 11.23 but not possible for 11.31.

@@more /etc/security.dsc
#Revision=@(#)B.11.31_LR 1
######################################################################
#
# Do not edit this file.
#
######################################################################
# Programs use this file to obtain information about the attributes
# defined in /etc/default/security and /var/adm/userdb.
# Each attribute is described by a line below; information includes:
# 1) name
# 2) min value
# 3) max value
# 4) value of the hardwired default used if no system-wide value is set
# 5) flags indicating how the attribute can be used:
# S : can configure a system-wide default in /etc/default/security
# u : can configure a per-user value in /var/adm/userdb
# s : can configure a per-user value in /etc/shadow if shadow mode
# p : can configure a per-user value in /etc/passwd if standard mode
# L : the attribute applies only to local users in /etc/passwd
# i : indicates an internal attribute in /var/adm/userdb that is
# normally modified only by programs that enforce system security
# 6) description message number in /usr/lib/nls/*/libsec.cat
# 7) description message; description of the attribute

ABORT_LOGIN_ON_MISSING_HOMEDIR;0;1;0;S;1;Abort login if no home directory? (0=No 1=Yes)
ALLOW_NULL_PASSWORD;0;1;1;LuS;2;Allow login with null password? (0=No 1=Yes)
AUDIT_FLAG;0;1;1;uS;3;Should a user account be audited? (0=No 1=Yes)
AUTH_MAXTRIES;0;999;0;uS;4;Number of consecutive authentication failures allowed (0=No limit)
BOOT_AUTH;0;1;0;LS;5;Is authentication required to boot the system into single user mode? (0=No 1=Yes)
BOOT_USERS;;;root;LS;6;Names of users who can boot the system into single user mode
DISPLAY_LAST_LOGIN;0;1;1;uS;7;Should the last login be displayed? (0=No 1=Yes)
INACTIVITY_MAXDAYS;0;999;0;LsS;8;Number of days of account inactivity allowed (0=No limit)
LOGIN_TIMES;;;Any;uS;9;List of days/times that a user can login to the system (see security(4)).
MIN_PASSWORD_LENGTH;3;8;6;LuS;10;Minimum length for new passwords
NOLOGIN;0;1;0;S;11;Can /etc/nologin be used to disable non-root logins? (0=No 1=Yes)
NUMBER_OF_LOGINS_ALLOWED;0;999;0;uS;12;Maximum number of simultaneous logins allowed (0=No limit)
PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH;1;24;1;LuS;13;Number of passwords in password history
PASSWORD_MIN_LOWER_CASE_CHARS;0;7;0;LuS;14;Minimum number of lower case chars for new passwords
PASSWORD_MIN_UPPER_CASE_CHARS;0;7;0;LuS;15;Minimum number of upper case chars for new passwords
PASSWORD_MIN_DIGIT_CHARS;0;6;0;LuS;16;Minumum number of digits for new passwords
PASSWORD_MIN_SPECIAL_CHARS;0;6;0;LuS;17;Minimum number of special chars for new passwords
PASSWORD_MAXDAYS;-1;441;-1;LpsS;18;Maximum number of days that a password is valid (-1=Disable aging)
PASSWORD_MINDAYS;0;441;0;LpsS;19;Minimum number days to elapse before a password can be changed (0=No restriction)
PASSWORD_WARNDAYS;0;441;0;LsS;20;Number of days to warn before a password expires (0=No warning)
SU_DEFAULT_PATH;;;;S;21;Set the specified PATH when su to a non superuser account (null=Retain path)
SU_KEEP_ENV_VARS;;;;S;22;Force su to propagate specified unsafe environment variables (null=No propagation)
SU_ROOT_GROUP;;;;S;23;Name of the group allowed to su to root (null=No restrictions)
UMASK;0;0777;0;uS;24;Default umask (leading zero denotes octal value)
auth_failures;;;;i;100;Number of consecutive authentication failures
auth_forigin;;;;i;101;Origin (host or tty) of last authentication failure
auth_ftime;;;;i;102;Time of last authentication failure
login_origin;;;;i;103;Origin (host or tty) of last successful login
login_time;;;;i;104;Time of last successful login
pwhist;;;;i;105;Password history

Actually, you still can convert system to trusted. Either using tsconvert or smh. The option still exists. Trusted system did not disapear.

Anyway, did you try to disable password aging on a per user level by userdbset command?
userdbset -u PASSWORD_MAXDAYS=-1
Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor

userdbset -u user PASSWORD_MAXDAYS=-1 command doesn't work for me...

#userdbset -u user PASSWORD_MAXDAYS=-1
Unknown attribute : PASSWORD_MAXDAYS
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

I would open up a ticket.. It may be a patch issue but password aging is certainly supported in SMSE security.

The only real functionality that is not in SMSE security that trusted system has is the ability to edit files to set the per user policy and system generated passwords. Other than that I think all of the functionality is there.

Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor

Yes i opened a case for this error (in may 2010), and HP support said they are aware of the problem and they are trying to fix this with a patch. But they didnt give any specific release date for this fix.
Doug Lamoureux_2
Valued Contributor

There will be a patch to 11.31 available in early 2011 that allows you to apply password policies to the root user.

For now you'll need to use Trusted Mode to get that functionality.

Regarding
userdbset -u user -a PASSWORD_MAXDAYS=-1

not working, the PASSWORD_MAXDAYS setting for a specific user is not stored in the userdb. If you would like to set (disable) this setting for a user use:

/usr/bin/password -x -1 user

Not all security settings are settable in the userdb - To find out more about each setting take a look at the /etc/security.dsc file. Each entry has a set of flags (5th parameter of the line), these flags are described at the top of the file:

# S : can configure a system-wide default in /etc/default/security
# u : can configure a per-user value in /var/adm/userdb
# s : can configure a per-user value in /etc/shadow if shadow mode
# p : can configure a per-user value in /etc/passwd if standard mode
# L : the attribute applies only to local users in /etc/passwd
# i : indicates an internal attribute in /var/adm/userdb that is
# normally modified only by programs that enforce system security

For example the MIN_PASSWORD_LENGTH setting has the flags LpsS

PASSWORD_MAXDAYS;-1;441;-1;LpsS;18;Maximum number of days that a password is valid (-1=Disable aging)

L - Local users
p - Set on a per-user basis with passwd
s - Settable in shadow mode
S - System wide default settable in /etc/default/security

Also from the security man page:

"PASSWORD_MAXDAYS
This attribute applies only to local users and does not apply to trusted systems. The passwd -x option can be used to override this
value for a specific user."

Cheers,
Doug
Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor

Hi Doug,

>If you would like to set (disable) this >setting for a user use:
>/usr/bin/password -x -1 user

Actually "passwd -x -1 user" command is working but this doesn't disable the password aging. When the user uses "passwd" command to set it's password then the users aging parameter is set to "PASSWORD_MAXDAYS" (in /etc/default/security file) again.
KathyL1
Valued Contributor

Regarding the statement:
There will be a patch to 11.31 available in early 2011 that allows you to apply password policies to the root user.

Patches PHCO_40838 and PHCO_40839 are now available and make it possible to apply all the Shadow mode login and password restrictions imposed on normal users to the root user account.

Let us hope those patches realy fix the issue. I am planning to test it some time later.

Thanks for all your replies.