New Discussion

Re: Installing jumbo patch to john the ripper 1.7.9

SOLVED
Go to solution
vazjuanp
Advisor

Installing jumbo patch to john the ripper 1.7.9

Hi all,

I am having some issues trying to install the jumbo5 patch to john the ripper version 1.7.9. I am doing this in order to be able to audit LDAP passwords crypted as SSHA. 

The problem is that I am following the instructions on the official website but when i type the command: "patch p1 < ../john-1.7.9-diff" it says "Hmm...  I can't seem to find a patch in there anywhere"

I am working on a HP-UX 11.31 server with john the ripper 1.7.9 already installed and working.

I've checked with the file command what type of file the patch is and it says "c program text".I don't know if I am doing something wrong. Here I post the link with the instructions I'm following.

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/how-to-extract-tarballs-and-apply-patches

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Is your "john-1.7.9-diff" the same file as this one?

http://download.openwall.net/pub/projects/john/1.7.9/john-1.7.9-jumbo-5.diff.gz

The important part for troubleshooting problems like this is the patch header:

diff -urpN john-1.7.9.orig/README-jumbo john-1.7.9/README-jumbo
--- john-1.7.9.orig/README-jumbo        1970-01-01 00:00:00 +0000
+++ john-1.7.9/README-jumbo     2011-12-15 00:00:00 +0000

It indicates the "diff" command used to produce the patch. The '-u' option means the "unified" mode of GNU diff... which is unfortunately not supported by HP-UX diff/patch utilities.

You'll need the GNU "patch" utility, which includes support for the "unified" diff mode:

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Sysadmin/patch-2.6.1/

MK
vazjuanp
Advisor

Hi,

I have checked my patch and it does have the same header as the one you show there. I have downloaded the GNU patch and installed it but it still does not work. I don't know if I have to do something different, I just installed the GNU patch with swinstall and tried the command again...

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The GNU patch command will be installed in /usr/local/bin, while the standard HP-UX patch command is in /usr/bin.

If your $PATH environment variable lists /usr/bin before /usr/local/bin (or if /usr/local/bin is not listed at all), the standard /usr/bin/patch will be used unless you specify the path explicitly:

$ /usr/local/bin/patch -p1 < ../john-1.7.9-diff

Alternatively, you could rename the GNU patch command to a different name to make it easily distinguishable from the HP-UX standard "patch" command:

# mv /usr/local/bin/patch /usr/local/bin/gnupatch

$ gnupatch -p1 < ../john-1.7.9.diff

(If you find that /usr/local/bin is not listed in your $PATH, you might want to edit the system default setting for that variable. It is located in file /etc/PATH. If you add it, you might want to add /usr/local/man to /etc/MANPATH too. Both files should contain just a single line of text, with a colon-separated list of directories on it.)

MK
vazjuanp
Advisor

It has worked!! Thank you very much for your help.

The only problem is that it's not working for the SSHA encrypted passwords as I thought it would do. Maybe I need a different patch. I'll try to look for it.

Thanks again for the help!!

vazjuanp
Advisor

Hi again,

I have tried to install the John the Ripper 1.7.9-jumbo-5 which has the jumbo patch included but when I try to compile it, it gives this error:

"Make: Must be a separator on rules line 50.  Stop."

I am installing it on hp-ux 11.31

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>"Make: Must be a separator on rules line 50.  Stop."

What's on line 50?  Is there a leading tab?  Are you using gmake instead of HP-UX make?

vazjuanp
Advisor

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

I have compiled it following these instructions:

http://www.openwall.com/john/doc/INSTALL.shtml

I've tried the make clean SYSTEM and make clean generic. I've tried with these 2:

/usr/bin/make
/usr/ccs/bin/make

By the way, I guess the error refers to the file rules.c which is blank...

struct HashPtr *pHashTbl, *pHashDat;
static struct cfg_list rules_tmp_dup_removal;
static int             rules_tmp_dup_removal_cnt;

static struct {

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I've tried with these 2:  /usr/bin/make  /usr/ccs/bin/make

You may need to download GNU make into /usr/local/bin/gmake.  Especially if there is conditional make commands in the makefile.

vazjuanp
Advisor

Hi,

I'm having some trouble using the gnu make. I'm downloading it from here http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make/ the version 3.82. Once it's untar'ed' I don't really know how to use it. Sorry for the silly question but could you help me at this stage?

Thanks!