New Discussion юеВ

Password Policy on Trusted system

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Password Policy on Trusted system

Hi,

I want to set the password same as user id on a trusted system. How can I do that. I am not able to do that now.It says "Password cannot be circular shift of logonid."

Regards,
Syam
12 REPLIES 12
saju_2
Respected Contributor

Re: Password Policy on Trusted system

Hi syam

I don't know the purpose behind making userid and password as same ...If u want to make it same then what is the purpose of a trusted system.????

If the server was not trusted then u can do it by logging into root and changing the password of that user. But in trused mode it will not allow it..

regards
CS
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

what about a non trusted system..How can i make the paswords and username same? There is some business purpose behind this..

Regards,
saju_2
Respected Contributor

Hi

In non trusted system u can do it by logging into root and change the password for the required user.

BTW what is the business purpose...???!!!!

Regards
CS
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I want to do it in my trsuted system. Now one of my program code is associated with the password. in the code the password is same as username. I suspect that this code was witten when this system was untrusted before 6-7 months. The system is running in trusted mode for the last 7 months and now the password of that user got expired some how. I have no other way to change the password but never it allows me to keep same as user name.

I will have to change all my code if the system is not allowing me to keep the same password. Thats the business purpose.

Regards,
Syam
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Syam,

Try to put that passwd to another user, and then get the encrypted passwd from the /tcb database and copy it from
the alternative user to the one you want ( by editing the user files under /tcb ). Remember to disable passwd aging for your user, in case is enabled, and change again the passwd of the alternative user.
I think that approach should work, but didn't tried.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Zigor
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Zigor,

Let me test this..I will come back to you soon. If this works out you will get full pts.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,
Syam
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Zigor,

It is not allowing me to do that. Now it says that "Password must contain at least two alphabetic characters and at least one numeric or special character."

Not allowing me to use only alphabets. I am doubtful now about setting such a less complicated password policy on a trusted system. I feel like it is impossible. Any coments?

Any way I changed the whole application code with a complex password.

Regards,
Syam
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Syam,

Definitely, to change to a complex password is the best approach.
In regarding the password=username, I forgot to ask if your user has some numeric character on his name, sorry. If you have a non trusted system there, you can try the same, and then get and copy the encrypted passwd from the non trusted to the trusted one. I've just tried to do what I wrote on my first post and it works.
Anyway, you already solved your problem ;-)

Best regards,
Zigor
D Block 2
Respected Contributor

Syam,
In a Trusted System, you will find that this is very unique here.. There is some Hashing Alogrithm used for user names (I believe its the Frist character) and then there is a database for the list of login(s).

You just might decide to create your own UserID or LoginID scheme to be used here. that is, for creating unique pass-words per LoginIDs.

Yes, there is a very Strick Policy for Pass-Words using Trusted Systems..

Let Us Know your Results, thanks!
Tom
Golf is a Good Walk Spoiled, Mark Twain.