New Discussion юеВ

Putty application

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ragni Singh
Super Advisor

Putty application

Hello guys,

This question is for anyone using the putty application. I just started using putty as a secure shell connection but my issue arises when I'm doing a vi to a file. In vi mode, it seems that I can't use the numerical pad. Can anyone tell me how to configure this so I can use the numerical pad please. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Re: Putty application

Are you saying that only when you use the putty app that the problem occurs ? If so in what do you run the app ie xterm , other vt emulator etc ?

Using the Ctrl+middle mouse button does it
show that the "Enable Applicaion Keypad" option is originially on and the application toggles that off ?

from man xterm:
keypadDefault (class AppkeypadDefault)
If ``true,'' the keypad keys are initially in application mode. The default is ``false.''
so try the following:

in /usr/lib/X11/app-deafults/XTerm set: *appkeypadDefault: True

and if that fails or is not relevant :

then this is how you could disable curses applications from toggling the keypad
option:
- cd /usr/lib/terminfo/x
- untic xterm > xterm.untic
- vi xterm.untic, remove rmkx/smkx entries, modify the first line to
contain: xterm-nk|vs100|xterm terminal emulator, disable application
Keypad toggle
- save
- tic xterm, this will tic xterm.untic file and puts it in xterm-nk
- run xterm -tn xterm-nk, and in there run your application

NB this is a best guess given the information thus far .......
linuxfan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

In the PuTTY Configuration window, make sure you "mark/click" Application keypad Keys totally disabled.

-HTH
Ramesh
They think they know but don't. At least I know I don't know - Socrates
Ragni Singh
Super Advisor

Thanks but now I have a different qustion. You see we have a lot of unix machines and it seems that everytime, I need to login to a machine, I have to go through my putty configuration window, then select the one machine that I need to go to. is there a possible way for me to create shortcuts so once I double click on a icon, it takes me right to that machine and all I need to do is login with my names and password. Please help and let me know if I can explain this any better.
linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Hi,

In your PuTTY configuration,
type in the hostname and protocol and type in a name for a saved session(usually i match it to the hostname) and then click onthe save button, if you want to modify any other thing in each configuration(backspace, disable numeric keypad etc) make the changes and then save it, next time you want to connect to a different machine, just click on the machine and load it in the PuTTY configuration.

is this what you are trying to achieve?

-Regards
Ramesh
Ragni Singh
Super Advisor

No Ramesh,
I wonna have some short-cuts on my desktop. When I double-click on one of my short-cuts, I wonna be able to go directly to that machine. I wonna be able to completely eliminate going to the putty config menu if at all possible.
linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Its pretty simple, save the information for all the hosts you want to connect to and then create a shortcut(you can name the shortcut to be the hostname you want to connect to, unfortunately you would need a unique shortcut for each machine).

Once you create a shortcut, if you look at the properties of the shortcut it would have c:\path\to\putty.exe , just append the hostname to this and then apply and click ok.

For Eg: if the hostname is host1, change the properties to
c:\path\to\putty.exe host1

then clicking on this shortcut would take you to host1

-HTH
Ramesh