Operating System - OpenVMS
1752794 Members
5821 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SSH login w/expired password allows new password change containing invalid characters

Cindy Railey_1
Advisor

SSH login w/expired password allows new password change containing invalid characters

I just reported this to HP, but thought I would post it in case anyone else encounters an issue like this -

We had a user who generally uses SSH to connect to the VMS servers - In mid-March her password was expired and she set a new password which included "@" (which of course is an invalid character for password). SSH/VMS allowed the password change - and she continued to login with that password since.

Yesterday - she needed to transfer a file from her desktop to VMS, and she could not connect with FTP (SFTP would have worked). Audit Server was reporting "%LOGIN-F-INVPWD, invalid password"

Not knowing about the 'invalid character' in the password - we thought she was a bad typist, had a bad keyboard ?.. but were persistant in troubleshooting for about 45 minutes. Finally someone asked for her password, otherwise we may have never known what happened.

I tested and the problem occurs on both AlphaVMS v7.3-2/TCPIP v5.4 ECO 4 and IA64 VMS v8.3/TCPIP v5.6 ECO 2.

You can login with invalid characters in your password via SSH or SFTP, but not FTP, DECNet (set host), or Telnet - that's as far as I went with it.
4 REPLIES 4
Gregg Parmentier
Frequent Advisor

Re: SSH login w/expired password allows new password change containing invalid characters

I wonder if the ssh/sftp interface drops the @. So, would the password with the @ removed have been valid via telnet.

That might make it a problem with the client software you're using, and not with VMS.
Cindy Railey_1
Advisor

To rule out the terminal emulation software we use - I connected to a VMS server via SSH (using the password with illegal characters) then connected directly to another VMS server in the same Cluster using TELNET, FTP, DECnet (Set Host), SSH, & SFTP. Only SSH and SFTP would allow login with the password. All other protocols failed login.
Cindy Railey_1
Advisor

HP responded - if the UAF records have the PWDMIX flag set - then the issue described does not occur.

If you do NOT have PWDMIX flag set - SSH ignores that fact and allows 'extended' characters in the password. The user cannot login any other method afterwards.

This little bug is being reported to engineering.
Cindy Railey_1
Advisor

closing this thread as the problem will be resolved eventually. main reason for posting was to help others who may come across this issue.