108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: System Library Files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Galen Benson
Frequent Advisor

System Library Files

I'm running some security processes against our servers and one of them is suggesting to maintain baseline backups of all device files, suid files, sgid files and system library files.  Unfortunately, I'm not able to find a listing or description of what would be considered system library files.  I'm sure this is a quick answer for you gurus and am hoping you could help me.  Thanks in advance for your time.

Galen

4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

I assume you are using HP-UX, which version?  (This is the wrong board for that.)

You might want to take an Ignite back of of all files on vg00.

By "System Library" do you mean shared libs?

Galen Benson
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your reply Dennis.  To answer your question, we're running HPUX 11.11, 11.23 & 11.31 and the Security Documentation specifically says 'System Library Files'.  We regularly run Make_recoveries.  I just want to make sure I'm not missing any files that I should be grabbing.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>the Security Documentation specifically says 'System Library Files'.

This sounds more like a Windows oriented term.

> We regularly run Make_recoveries.

This sounds like you got it covered from the data loss standpoint.  Unless the point was more to recovering after having them corrupted by a virus?  But the ignite backup can be used for that too.

Galen Benson
Frequent Advisor

The security documentation is actually a STIG for UNIX, but probably just worded incorrectly.  Thanks for the reassurance & have a nice weekend.