Operating System - OpenVMS
1748216 Members
3428 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What are logical name table ACLs charged against?

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Jones_21
Trusted Contributor

There are a lot of things to investigate. In one test, I ran the program to exhaustion, redefined LNM$JOB to point to the group table (privileged account) and was able to run the program to add the ACES to that table. I'll have to check, but I don't think it was able to add as many.

I suspect that the INSMEM me be from $SET_SECURITY not being able to get working memory to edit the ACL than a limit on ACL itself. It's a limit either way. I may try raising CTLPAGES to see what happens, but I'm inclined to leave PIOPAGES alone.

Another thing to try is set resource wait mode to see if I can get the process in MWAIT and diagnose the resource shortage from there.
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

David,

ACEs for job logical names are definitely stored in paged pool.

You can obtain the LNMB and LNMX addresses by SDA> CLUE SYSTEM/LOGICALS - look for your LNM$JOB_xxxxxxxx logical name table (xxxxxxxx is the hex system space address of your JIB - Job Information Block in nonpaged pool).

In case of a logical name describing a logical name table, the LNMX is a LNMTH (logical name table header). It's field LNMTH$_ORB points to the ORB, which has a listhead of ACL structures. As can be shown with SDA> CLUE MEM/LAYOUT, those data structure addresses are definitely in paged pool.

Volker.
David Jones_21
Trusted Contributor

"ACEs for job logical names are definitely stored in paged pool."

That's good to know, but it begs of question of why that pool consumption isn't being charged against the table quota the same as the logical names.

On my AS800, I did an AUTOGEN when experimented with bumping CTLPAGES from 288 (default) to 360 (1.25*default). The max. number of entries my test program could load per table actually went down sustantially, the drop in MAXPROCESSCNT affected some other relevant parameter.
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

David,

the $SET_SECURITY system service description lists:

Required Quota
None

Maybe we can bring up this question during the OpenVMS Advanced technical bootcamp next month.

ACEs (for logical name tables) are stored in ACL segments (max. 512 bytes each) in paged pool. Each ACE has a size of max. 256 bytes.
You can see the ACL segments with:

SDA> SHOW POOL/PAGED/TYPE=ACL/SUMM or
SDA> SHOW POOL/PAGED/TYPE=ACL/HEADER

Volker.