Operating System - HP-UX
1748094 Members
5981 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Why there is No on-line manual for modprpw, tsconvert ?

Rashid Ali
Frequent Advisor

Why there is No on-line manual for modprpw, tsconvert ?

I am wondering Why there is No on-line manual for modprpw, tsconvert? Does that mean HP does not support Trust System ? Where can I find out the on-line manual for these commands?

Thanks,
11 REPLIES 11
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

the manual pages ARE available online.
- Use Search in ITRC
- Select "Manuals"
- Enter "modprpw" or "tsconvert"

good luck,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

I related "on-line" with "on the internet" ;) sorry
The manpages might be on you system but are probably residing in another directory. If you add this directory to you MANPATH variable everything should be OK.
regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Since 10.x man pages for these commands has been requested to be published.

Your best bet in finding them on-line is to start at the doc search home page:
http://www.docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/otsearch/hpsearch

Try this for modprpw with links to related commands:
http://www.docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90691/B2355-90691_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90691/00/02/222-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90691/00/02/222-toc.html&searchterms=modprpw&queryid=20010409-045833
"Downtime is a Crime."
Rashid Ali
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for your reply. My on-line manual means I can run 'man modprpw' to get the info but so far cannot. I remembered someone mentioned that HP does/will not support modprpw. Is that true? I got this news from http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xe1ba79bffde7d4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html The subject is "assets and drawbacks of a trusted system"
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

modprpw is called a 'backend' command which is why it is located in /usr/lbin. It is used by SAM which is the preferred tool to add, modify or remove users in a Trusted System. Many commands in lbin are undocumented as they are support tools for another program (like SAM) and the SAM team often needs the freedom to modify the behavior of these commands as needed.

A man page tends to put line in the sand and lots of users start coding it into scripts and tools, later breaking when the program is changed. Check the warnings and the end of the man page on docs.hp.com and see also getprpw.

Trusted System converts several features regarding security to C2 level, most notably removing the password field and placing it along with many new access controls in a hidden directory structure. This goes quite a bit beyond a simple shadow password file.

The downside to Trusted Systems is that since the password entry must be hidden in a secure location, NIS is incompatible. And user-written scripts to maintain the password file will need rewrites.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Tom Danzig
Honored Contributor

The command are basicly unsupported hence the reason for no man pages. Attached are some I was able to find.
Rashid Ali
Frequent Advisor

I am still (even my boss also)wondering how come these commands come together with HP-UX and HP does not/will not support it. Does unsupported means there is no man page provided? Does it mean all commands in /usr/lbin are unsupported? Or does it mean HP won't help me if I call HP response centre?

Another thing I want to clarify is, Trusted system does not support NIS, is that true? How about NIS+? If that is true, that means you can only choose one of them, not both?

Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

The whole concept of security being foreign to NIS, whereas it is an integral part of NIS+, the two are basically incompatible.