1752631 Members
5739 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /home/oper

Mehmood Ansari_1
Occasional Contributor

/home/oper

How I will execute boot disk backup from /home/oper, which is not root eqivalant.
6 REPLIES 6
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

sudo is your best bet.

yuo can assign special right to different user accounts.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I would agree with the previous replies but would add also you do not mention what you will be using for your backup: native commands, tar? fbackup? make_recovery? etc...
If its native (I supoose sam uses fbackup but I havent tried...), it can be done by giving oper the rights to backup via restricted sam (sam -r, and give oper the privileges on backup/restore)...
Although for security sudo su2 etc are the best way to do things, you could until you define a sudo policy also allow oper to rlogin root by creating a .rhosts file in root directory with oper in it, which would allow oper to rlogin/connect as root without having to know the root passwd, dont forget to chmod 400 on the file...then in .profile write a check if it oper that connected, to display a home written bakckup/restore menu...
Just thoughts...

All the best
Victor
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

okay,
In order to check if its oper you would have to create a new root account you could call backup, like that you can test on logname, that is if you wish to reside in the same directory as root and share its .profile otherwise no test is required just write a custom menu if you wish...
stanza for .rhosts is hostname user,
oper to connect would have to type:
rlogin -l backup

All the best
Victor
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

sudo, or try setting this up in "Restricted" SAM.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I prefer restricted SAM because it is easily configurable and safer. In addition, it provides menu-enabled GUI which would enhance your operator's ease of use.

For sudo, if you are new to it, it is easy to make mistakes and unintentionally allow unnecessary privileges to non-superusers.

# sam -r

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong