1756530 Members
2164 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

lftm=-1 What does this mean

John McWilliams_1
Frequent Advisor

lftm=-1 What does this mean

Hi - I am running trusted systems. When I run getprpw -m lftm USER, I get 0 (meaning password ageing is off) for all except 2 servers where the value returned is -1.
What does this mean? I have looked in SAM and ageing is turned off for this user on all, including these 2 systems.(which is what I want).

Thanks John
2 REPLIES 2
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: lftm=-1 What does this mean

Actually, from the modprpw man page:

"No aging is present if the following 4 database parameters are all zero: u_minchg, u_exp, u_life, u_pw_expire_warning."

And from man prpwd:

"u_life This field is a time_t value that specifies the lifetime of a password. If this time is reached, the account will be locked and can only be unlocked by an authorized system administrator."

u_life is password lifetime, similar to expiration time, but root is required to unlock the account if lifetime is exceeded. The man page for getspent implies that unspecified entries default to -1 but do comment any further.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
John McWilliams_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: lftm=-1 What does this mean

I think the problem here is that the lftm (u_life) was set to -1. This refers to the default value. When looking in sam aging was off. I turned it on but left all values as 0, so no aging. This set aging off again and the value of lftm went to 0.

Thanks for your help

John