Operating System - HP-UX
1752278 Members
4743 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

"Host Not Trusted" ... do not understand trusted systems, please assist with getting system trusted.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mr. Lewis Lampkin, III
Frequent Advisor

"Host Not Trusted" ... do not understand trusted systems, please assist with getting system trusted.

I have this error message in my syslog.log.

How can I make the host trusted?

This isn't exactly what it says, but the line looks sort of like this:

Nov 23 12:00:00 host1 proc1:[9999]: Nt host not trusted Nt host:[10.10.10.10]

How do I make 10.10.10.10 a trusted host?

I attempted the following:

(1) place .rhosts file in the / directory, containing the line:
then, restarted the process to check again
(2) make a file hosts.equiv in the /etc directory, containing the line:
then, restarted the process to check again
(3) After that, I edited the file (in both locations), to look like this:
+
then, restarted the process, to check again.

I thought that I was reading the documentation correctly, which said that to configure a host as trusted, you had to edit the .rhosts file, with an entry for host, username,#comment, and you could get away with only specifying the host. Also, the documentation said that if you used the "+" character, it was the equivalent of letting everything through, so I figured this would have worked, but it didn't.

So now, I know that my problem is that remote host is not trusted, but I don't know how to trust it. This is what I have so far, I hope someone can get me over the hump!

Thanks for your help in advance!
6 REPLIES 6
Mr. Lewis Lampkin, III
Frequent Advisor

Re: "Host Not Trusted" ... do not understand trusted systems, please assist with getting system trusted.

I am currently reading this document, in an attempt to understand the HP Trusted Computing Services a bit better, I will post a result, if I find it.

http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-7466/5991-7466.pdf

Mr. Lewis Lampkin, III
Frequent Advisor

Re: "Host Not Trusted" ... do not understand trusted systems, please assist with getting system trusted.

That document does not appear to be the solution, will continue looking.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

> Nov 23 12:00:00 host1 proc1:[9999]: Nt host not trusted Nt host:[10.10.10.10]

Looks like you have anonymized this log message before posting it. That's well and good in general, but in this case it would be important to understand which program is doing the checking.

Anyway, the error message would be "Nt host not trusted"... and "NT host" just might mean that this software is somehow related to interoperation with Windows systems. But this is just a wild guess, and is quite possibly wrong.

The /etc/hosts.equiv and ~/.rhosts files are related to the family of standard "r"-services only: remsh, rlogin, rexec and rcp.

There is nothing that would force any other programs to use these configuration files, and some good reasons _not_ to make other programs piggy-back on these files.

(In particular, /etc/hosts.equiv is mostly a bad idea that is useful in very limited circumstances only. If even one of the conditions of the safe usage of hosts.equiv is not met, it allows unlimited harm to be done.)

So the only answer we can currently give you is:

Read the documentation of "proc1", find out what "being trusted" means _in that software specifically_, and how to configure it. Then do it.

Because you haven't told us what "proc1" is, we cannot do it.

MK
MK
Mr. Lewis Lampkin, III
Frequent Advisor

Sir, no idea, once I added an entry for the referenced ip address into the /etc/hosts, then I am now a little further along. (If you had not noticed, I am quite a newb.)

Thanks for replying to my posts.

Anyway, the proc1 is the 'ssod'.

I get a new error now. I will take a moment to look it up, but Let me give you points for helping.
Mr. Lewis Lampkin, III
Frequent Advisor

Also, I'm trying to get this set up on a test system for now, so there are the dangers, but not a big deal, as I can just start over again, if necessary.
Mr. Lewis Lampkin, III
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your help, have new question, will make new post.