Operating System - HP-UX
1753775 Members
7038 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vxfs : msg 001 vx_nospace - /dev/root file system full

So Sim Khoon

vxfs : msg 001 vx_nospace - /dev/root file system full

I got this message when I tried to change the root password.

vxfs : msg 001 vx_nospace - /dev/root file system full (2 block extent)
Cannot close temporary file or password file.

Would appreciate anyone would tell me where to clear those log files?
Thanks alot.
7 REPLIES 7
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

There is not enough room in your root filesystem to create a copy of your password file.

You need to check the filesystem for any unneeded/misplaced files. If you are using the standard LVM filesystem layout then / should be a non-volatile filesystem. Check for things like /dev/rmt/ or similar.

Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Youve run out of diskspace on / Do a bdf / to see how much space you have. You need to cleanup some files which are under / which sholdnt be. For example, if you do> du -sk dev etc
The size of these 2 directories should only be around 9500 for etc and 25 for dev. Any latger and you need to cleanup these directories. Look for any large files (not directories) in / also you can get rid of.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Look in /dev for core files and/or files that are NOT really special files but are typographical errors like "/dev/rmt/om" instead of /dev/rmt/0m" -- as when someone does a tar and mis-types.

...JRF...
Vincente Fernandes
Valued Contributor

Check for any core files in "/" file system. What is the size of "/" file system? Check to see if any users have created files under "/". Usually "/dev/vg00/lvol3" is the root file system. Looks like you need to regenerate "/etc/mnttab" file by running "mount -a" command.
Devbinder Singh Marway
Valued Contributor

you can check the / filesystem fro roots mail i.e. mbox file if this is big and you don't need to null it out > mbox

you can use find command to search for non files in /dev directory i.e. find /dev -type f -exec ls -l {} ; Or for core files
find / -name "core" -xdev -print ( -xdev will only search the / filesystem)

laters

Dev
Seek and you shall find
Vince Inman
Frequent Advisor

In addition to what the others have recommended it appears that your /etc/mnttab is out of sync. If you do a bdf and "/" shows as /dev/root, you should remove the /etc/mnttab and do a mount -a. A bdf will then show /dev/vg00/lvol3 as "/"
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Vince,

This is not the case, the message logged to syslog mentions '/dev/root' even though mnttab is correct.

Regards,
John