Server Management (Insight Manager 7)
1752800 Members
5481 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Associated Devices not Shown

Associated Devices not Shown

It seems that only 150 out of 270 management processors know what server they are in, how does one troubleshoot that? The criticality is mixed, so it's not that, the devices function fine as well as the server. What creates that reference between devices?
11 REPLIES 11
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Associated Devices not Shown

A question asked many times before and that has got a lot of mixed responses but no definative answer.

Things to check:
That the IP Addresses of the Management Processors are in the Discovery Range.
Run the Auto-Discovery Task
Run the Device Identification task.
Some have experiemented with changing the "level of information returned" setting on the MP.
Also, it will only associate an MP to a device if the MP is connected to the network.

Well, the i.p's would have to be in the range for it to display the name would'nt it?

I will check on the other things, but we have auto discovery set for every 24 hours.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

A server and its management processor are 2 distinct network devices with DNS names and IP addresses. IM7 correlates the two devices so it can put the convenience link to the MP next to the server so you don't have to search for it.

This association requires:

- Both the devices are discovered and identified in IM7 (meaning the server shows up as "ProLiant XXXX" and the management processor has been identified as a RILOE/II/iLO)
- In the case of the RILOEII/iLO, during the identification process they are queried for the name of the server they are in. This response is in the form of an XML spurt. The level of detail is configurable under the Administration tab of RILOEII/iLO. Best results come from the High setting. The critical component in the response here is located within the tags. This should match to the GUID (globally unique ID) of the server. If the response from RILOEII/iLO doesn't match the GUID in the IM7 database the the association can't be done.

Alright, well thanks. Thats way too many devices to configure. You would'nt happen to know a tool that will remotely get the server serial number would you? Since the whole point of this is a script that renames the rib cards to the associated servers serial number..

Well I guess even thats pointless, since theres no way to tell the associated server without manually hitting every rib.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

If you have a valid username/password with admin privileges for all of the MPs in question you can use the CPQLOCFG utility with an IM7 Application Launch Task to set/change the configuration of the MPs.

Yeah, I wrote a script already to take input from a text file. The text file is generated from SQL queries into IM7's database. That all works, just missing some data.

Out of curiosity... When I upped one of our devices to High output in the xml section:
D341LDN1H359

That sure looks like the servers serial number to me. Can I remotely grab that xml info by command line or some other automated process?

I tried using this xml script with the cpqwhatever tool and it gave me a syntax error:

David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Here's a zip file with a bunch of scripting samples: http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/download/20110.html

I just used the Get_SNMP_IM.xml one with no problem. With the exception of indentation for readability, I don't detect any difference between what it has and your posting.

On your previous question, it was only recently (post 6.1, I think) that the agents began assigning GUIDs based on the server serial number. If you have pre-6.1 agents, the response you get under may not be the server serial number. However, when you look at the iLO serial number between the tags, it will be the serial number preceded by "ILO". Unfortunately, this doesn't work for RILOE option cards.

Well thanks. I'll just hope they find a consolidated way to get accurate information from thier own products. It just dissapoints me that the system is not 100% accurate. In fact it's only about 60% accurate. I have been working with a newer version of insight manager, but it reports even less accurately.

I'm going to have to write something custom to do this, which is what I was trying to avoid. You would think they would let you manually enter the server information in somewhere. I guess I can alter the database, but as soon as the auto discovery is run, my entries would no doubt be removed.

Ugh..