1748219 Members
4198 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Still getting paged 15 minutes after clearing all uncleared events from IM7

Phong Thai_2
Frequent Advisor

Still getting paged 15 minutes after clearing all uncleared events from IM7

After clearing all events from IM7, I'm still getting paged for those events. Does anyone know why? and Is there a way to stop the paging?

Thanks,
Phong
10 REPLIES 10
Brent Ingler
Respected Contributor

Re: Still getting paged 15 minutes after clearing all uncleared events from IM7

Next time it happens, I'd suggest counting the number of alerts, and comparing it to the number of pages you receive. Often times, there's just a delay either in mail routing, or in sending the message to your pager. If you're getting more pages than there are events, let us know. I think you'll find, though, that they match up.

Brent
Scott Shaffer
Esteemed Contributor

Phong - what kind query do you have tied to the paging task? If it is a device query (such as Critical Devices) I recommend changing that to an event query (such as Important Uncleared Events.)

Scott
Dude, we've been totally misled by our album covers!
Phong Thai_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the info., Brent. Actually, that was what I thought, but one of my co-workers insisted that we should not get paged once the alert have been removed, so I just wanted to get some clarification on the issue.

Thanks,
Phong
Phong Thai_2
Frequent Advisor

Scott,

It's an event query that I created, and we did get the alerts as uncleared events. The situation we had yesterday was that one of our clusters failed, and we received about 50 critical uncleared events from the same problem. I guess my next question - Is there anyway that we can limit the number of events we get from the same problem?

Thanks,
Phong
Brent Ingler
Respected Contributor

Check your notification setup. You may be sending out messages every minute or something. What you should probably do instead is set it up to send the notification when new devices or events meet the query criteria. If it's already set up that way, I'd check your query. If you're getting 50 some-odd messages for one instance in your query, then try to make it more granular by pointing to as specific an event as possible. If you'd like, you can post your query criteria here, and we can try to help make it more specific.

Brent
Phong Thai_2
Frequent Advisor

I do have the notification set at "When new devices or events meet the query criteria". These alerts actually appeared within a second of each other. Where do I go to get the query criteria to post it here? Basically, what I have for this event query is: I include "All events" and "All Devices", then exclude event(s) by Cleared status, by Event(s) of severity (Informational and Normal), by Event(s) of type (Application, Backup, Discovered Devices, Generic, Netware, ...), and Device(s) by name (6 specific servers).

Phong
Scott Shaffer
Esteemed Contributor

Phong that sounds like you have it setup right - but I can't imagine any error that would generate 50 events. Was the server ping-ponging from up/down?

What are the 50 events?

I know a hard disk error sometimes generates more events that people would like (3 in most cases) so we've considered consolidating them but 50 is certainly not right.

Scott
Dude, we've been totally misled by our album covers!
Phong Thai_2
Frequent Advisor

Scott,
I think the reasons for 50 some messages were because these servers are clusters. This cluster has two cluster nodes. I went back and looked at the paging status log and noticed that each of the cluster nodes, and the cluster itself issued the following messages at least 8 times: Cluster resource degraded, cluster node degraded, cluster node failed,
and cluster failed. The arguement here is that a co-workder of mine thought that if he clears these events from IM7, then he won't get paged for those alerts anymore, but he ended up getting all 50 some pages.
Thanks,
Phong
Brent Ingler
Respected Contributor

Phong,

If the issue is simply that you received the messages after clearing the status, that's normal behavior for CIM. Basically, it's highly improbable that you, or anyone else, would be able to clear the status of an event before the message is queued up on the SMTP server. We're just not that fast. =) So, what you're probably experiencing has to do with the fact that by the time you go to clear an event, even if it's just come in, the message has already been sent out. So, cleared or not, you'll receive it.

Brent