New Discussion юеВ

Test Trap fails?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric_237
Frequent Advisor

Test Trap fails?

When I try to send a test trap from one device I get the following message:

"The Compaq Management Agents Remote Alerter agent has not finished initializing or is not enabled. The test trap was not sent."

Note that the device is running the 5.4 agents (all are started). I don't see a "remote alerter agent" service that needs to be started. Note also that I run a Insight Manager 7.0 Centralized Server.

Can anyone shed some light on this. How do I fix this? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Test Trap fails?

Are you connected via Terminal Services when you try to initiate the test trap?
Eric_237
Frequent Advisor

I am -- but it works via terminal services with other servers, just not this one. The difference is, this server is running 5.4 agents.

Does it NOT work with 5.4 agents and Terminal services, but with 6.4 or 7.0 agenst it does work?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

There's nothing in the revision notes to indicate a change in the 6.4 or later agents. It is, however, a documented issue in the past.

I thought it might have something to do with the different WS03 remote desktop method, but I just confirmed that 7.0 agents on a W2K server is fine...
Mike Hofford_1
Occasional Contributor

This could be related to a bad install of SNMP. I have experienced the same issues. I uninstalled SNMP, rebooted and reinstalled, rebooted. If this doesn't work i would look to reinstalling the agents. I hope you have better luck.
dospavlos
Frequent Advisor

I received this error after reinstalling snmp. I fixed it by cycling the 'HP Proliant Remote Monitor Service' service.