4467 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: unable to register some rfc mibs

Steve_175
Occasional Advisor

unable to register some rfc mibs

Hi all,

Did anyone successfully register those rfc files?
RFC1212 and RFC1215.

I always get this error messages when I try to register those mib files.

'rfc1212.mib' Failed Registration: 'Filerfc1212.miberror: Error reading MIB: OBJECT-TYPE is a reserved word. File: C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Compaq Insight Manager 7 SP1\compaq\protocol\snmp\mibs\rfc1212.mib Line: 9'

Any advices

Thanks,

Steve
4 REPLIES 4
Beni Muniz
Occasional Advisor

Looking at IETF RFC repository, I think you don??t need RFC1212, since the structure definitions for MIBs is in RFC1155 and RFC1213.

Try to unregister RFC1155 and register it again, then try to register RFC1213 and RFC1215.

Very Important Note: These files have the MIB basic structure definitions, so once you unregister them, ALL MIBs will be automatically unregistered. You need to re-register ALL of it again. But, there??s no need to cry: I??ve made this mistake once and all that costs me was a day to re-register it all again...

Beni.
Steve_175
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to unregister the RFC1155 mib and I got this error and it will not unregister itself.

startCompile Ex: null

Any ideas?

Steve
Scott Shaffer
Esteemed Contributor

You shouldn't need to compile any of those MIBs as they are already compiled into IM7 by default.

Well, not RFC1212 as that's not a MIB really but just a document for describing the mib syntax. What made you try to compile RFC1212.MIB?

The MIBs included with IM7 are:
RFC1155 (SMI)
RFC1213 (aka MIB II)
RFC1215 (generic traps)
RFC1493 (bridge mib)
RFC1514 (host resources)
Dude, we've been totally misled by our album covers!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I've had a similar issue, the reason I needed the rfc1212 mib was that the mib from another vendor (mirra.mib) required it.

If there's an rfc1212 mib that is available to be compiled into IM that would help me as well.