Service Manager / Service Center Practitioners Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

fill.search.format hangs

Regular Advisor

fill.search.format hangs

I have a field logical.name on problem record. In the rootcause link record, on the logical.name line, i have given                     

if null(logical.name in $File) then ($fill.search.format="device.cm3rrfc.search")

the form device.cm3rrfc.search is displayed properly, but the issue i am facing it, once this form is displayed and i click on search button withoout filling any fields, the system hangs.

thanks in advance

9 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: fill.search.format hangs

Hello,

May be some logs would be useful here...what DB are you using?

Thanks!

Honored Contributor Honored Contributor

In addition, some more information would be useful.

Does this happen on the web, the desktop client, or both?

If you don't use the $fill.search.format, (like, clear out that expression completely) and just do a standard fill, does it show all the results of the device table?

How large is your device table?  How many records is it trying to pull back?

You don't actually need to use the if/then statement:

$fill.search.format="device.cm3rrfc.search"

will automatically present the search screen if the link line field is null.

It is possible that this may be causing the problem as your condition may be repeatedly presenting the search format. (For an example, look at the contact fills on for the SD.open.interaction link record). 

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Regular Advisor

Hi

My problem is , when the logical name field is left blank, the search form is displayed, once i leave all the fields on search form blank and hit Search buttton on the form, the system hangs.

There are about 15 k records in the device table. We are using oracle database

So the issue has nothing to do with the fill.search.format, but the fact that bringing back multiple records is causing your system to hang.

Again, is this on the web or the desktop client?  We've seen issues where your version of the Java Runtime Environment on the web can cause issues when viewing configuration item records.

If you use the search format, and perform a search that would pull the same -first- record as a 'true' search, what happens?  (for example, if you perform a 'true' search from the device search screen, what's the first record that comes back?  there may be an issue with something in the first record in your list, which causes the hang)

Regular Advisor

Hi

The issue is present both in Web and thick client.

I tried giving a true search on device table using the device search form, it returned 16 k records in 12 seconds without any issue.

Can you attach a screenshot of your link record?  There's something else going on here; we're missing some piece of information.  A link's query for records does not cause the system to lock - so there's something else happening. 

As was suggested before, logs might be helpful as well (though this forum really isn't the same as HP's technical support...).

Regular Advisor

I have atatched screenshot of link record

well, the best way to start debugging is to make everything simple, then add complexity.

Remove all of the expressions in the link record, and just use the following:

$query=true

Then give that a try.  What are those results?  Does it pull back the full list of records like we expect?

Then, add in these expressions, one at a time - add one, save the link, go into a record and try it out... Remember that you need to exit the other record completely; the link record doesn't refresh unless you get out of the record and back in.

$fill.search.format="device.cm3rrfc.search"

if (not null(logical.name.display in $File)) then ($query="network.name#\""+logical.name.display in $File+"\" or additional.alias=\""+logical.name.display in $File+"\"")

Those should be the only expressions you need; everything else on your link record is unnecessary.