Operating System - HP-UX
1748038 Members
4704 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Adding New VG to the Running Package : (Service Guard 11.18 11.31 )

rveri-admin
Frequent Advisor

Adding New VG to the Running Package : (Service Guard 11.18 11.31 )

Hi all,

I want to add 4 more VG to the package on   hp-ux 11.31  with  SG=11.18 . The package is running.

Could you please advise if this activity needs package to be  in halted state and to restart for this activity.

Or can it be done onlinem without stoping the packge.  4 VG needs 1 LV each, and need to be mounted for the package.

Thanks in advance..

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > System Administration to HP-UX > Serviceguard. - Hp Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding New VG to the Running Package : (Service Guard 11.18 11.31 )

The "Managing Serviceguard" book for Serviceguard 11.18 says it very clearly.

(Chapter 7: Cluster and Package Maintenance, Sub-chapter: Reconfiguring a Package, Table 7-2: Types of changes to packages)

If you add or remove a filesystem (i.e. a mounted LV), then the package must not be running. So the package must be halted.

Adding only a VG without any mounted filesystems might be possible, although the table says the package should be halted in that case too. Such a VG might be used for raw database LVs, for example.

If you attempt to add filesystems to a modular-style package, it requires using the cmapplyconf command. I think it will reject your change attempt with an error message if the package is running.

For legacy-style packages, you may think you can mount the filesystem(s) manually and just add the necessary lines to the package control script... but it is likely to cause problems the first time such a modified package needs to be halted, so you should not do that.

(With the legacy packages, my experience is that Serviceguard seems to internally keep a list of filesystems it has mounted, and will not unmount anything it has not mounted before. So if you manually add a filesystem to a legacy package while it's running, it will be left mounted when the package is halting, which will prevent the deactivation of the VG... which will cause the package halt to fail. And if an automatic package failover will not be successful when you need it, you won't have High Availability.)

MK