5996 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Changing the PV timeout value and its impact

masthan_1
Advisor

Changing the PV timeout value and its impact

Dear all,

for some reason we want to change the PV timeout value from default to 120seconds. consider we want to change the IO timeout for PV's which is part of some VG (this VG is activated in exclusive mode and cluster aware) are shared VG's..MC service guard..

We will use the block device path in pvchange command...but the same RAW device file is used in oracle RAC...If i am changing the PV timeout using this block device file, will there be any impact for the RAW device files, which is used in oracle database...kindly suggest us how can we proceed for PV's which are part of shared VG's (i believe shared VG's means cluster aware VG and activated in exclusive mode)

#pvdisplay /dev/dsk/name

IO timeout (seconds) default

thanks in advance

Regards,

Masthan

3 REPLIES 3
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

If you change the timeout for the block device (which pvchange requires), it's changed for the character (raw) device also. It's two files representing two access methods to the same phyical volume.

--
Jeff Traigle
masthan_1
Advisor

Will there be any impact if i am changing the PV timeout value of a PV which is in shared mode...Like in ORACLE RAC cluster, i could see that there are VG's which are active (activated) in different nodes of the cluster...is there any specific procedure? if am changing the PV timeout value for a PV of shared VG of this kind, will it change in the second node also....seeking your expert advice...

Regards.
Masthan
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Changing the timeout would only need to be done on one node. The other nodes that share them should automatically recognize the change.

--
Jeff Traigle