1753515 Members
7761 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cluster VG issue

Trng
Super Advisor

Cluster VG issue

Hi Team, i am using mcsg 11.19 on hpux 11.31 .one of my volume group in package "vg01" is not activating automatically during package start..i need to manually activate the vg and start the package .package is having multiple vg ,but only one vg is having problem .i have added the vg cluster aware and added in cluster configuration file as well...looking quite strange .. UX:vxfs fsck: ERROR: V-3-20003: Cannot open /dev/vg02/rlvorabin: No such device or address file system check failure, aborting ... Once package started,during stopping the package ,it is not deactivating this VG alone ..not sure why it is not deactivating this vg ,entries are avl in package control file /cluster config file etc . any clues
administrator
9 REPLIES 9
jack challen_1
Advisor

Re: Cluster VG issue

If I understand you correctly: you have a package called "vg01" (That's an awful package name, by the way) which uses multiple volume groups. One of these volume groups is failing to be activated on package start, and failing to be deactivated on package stop. Is that correct?

I think the reference to "/dev/vg02/rlvorabin" is failing because one of package configuration files makes reference to it, but it doesn't exist. The only reason it's trying to activate it is because it's been told to do so by one of those files.

As for the deactivation, the most common reason is that the filesystem's in use (is any user cd'd into that mountpoint?), but have a look in the log files to see what's happening -- there will be an error message.

Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

The message 'Cannot open /dev/vg02/rlvorabin: No such device or address ' indicates that the fsck command cannot locate or access /dev/vg02/rlvorabin.
First, verify that file exists. If it does, then verify that the package log shows that /dev/vg02 activated before the fsck was attempted.
You mention vg01 at the top of your post, but vg02 in the error message... which VG is the real VG? Perhaps you loaded the package control script (legacy style package) or package configuration file (modular style package) with an incorrect parameter value?
If you are working with a legacy package control script, be mindful of the need to increment index values for VG[X] and LVOL[X] parameters.
Hiren N Dave
Valued Contributor

Hi,

> UX:vxfs fsck: ERROR: V-3-20003: Cannot open /dev/vg02/rlvorabin:

Try to run fsck on disk device file of vg02, then activate the volume group.

Deactivate the volume group and run below command

# fsck /dev/rdsk/cXtXdX  (Do this for all PVs)

Now Activate the volume group again if above command succeded.

Hope this helps!

Cheers...

I am an HP Employee

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! star to say thank you.
Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

It is not possible to fsck a logical volume when it's parent volume group is not activated.
Example:
# vgdisplay vg113
vgdisplay: Volume group not activated.
vgdisplay: Cannot display volume group "vg113".
# ll /dev/vg113
total 0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 64 0x030000 Oct 21 2009 group
brw-r----- 1 root sys 64 0x030001 Oct 21 2009 lvol1
crw-r----- 1 root sys 64 0x030001 Oct 21 2009 rlvol1
# fsck -F vxfs /dev/vg113/lvol1
vxfs fsck: V-3-20003: Cannot open /dev/vg113/lvol1: No such device or address
file system check failure, aborting ...
# vgchange -a e vg113
Activated volume group in Exclusive Mode.
Volume group "vg113" has been successfully changed.
# fsck -F vxfs /dev/vg113/lvol1
file system is clean - log replay is not required

Hiren N Dave
Valued Contributor

> @Stephen: It is not possible to fsck a logical volume when it's parent volume group is not activated

I have asked to fsck PVs....not LVs!

Cheers...

I am an HP Employee

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

> I have asked to fsck PVs....not LVs!

# fsck -F vxfs /dev/vg113/lvol1  -  That's not a PV!!

Pete
Hiren N Dave
Valued Contributor

Hi Pete,

Appreciate your contribution to the community...but you have mis-read my answer. It is actually...

# fsck /dev/rdsk/cXtXdX (Do this for all PVs)

Regards,

HD

I am an HP Employee

Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

Unless you created a whole-disk file system outside of LVM, you cannot fsck a PV.

The person who opened this thread used LVM references in their initial query so I have to assume the disks have LVM metadata on them..  That being the case, it is not possible to fsck an LVM PV when LVM metadata is at the front of the disk - before any file system metadata.

To demonstrate this::

# vgdisplay vg113
vgdisplay: Volume group not activated.
vgdisplay: Cannot display volume group "vg113".

lvmtab shows only one disk for vg113 on my test system:
/dev/vg113
/dev/disk/disk113

# fsck -F vxfs /dev/disk/113
vxfs fsck: V-3-20945: cannot stat /dev/disk/113        # (as I expected).

Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

hi trng,

could you please post output as follow

vgchange -a y vg01

vgdisplay -v vg01

and also your cluster packge control file

Rgds