New Discussion

Re: Does IP address is mandatory for package

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chirag Parikh
Frequent Advisor

Does IP address is mandatory for package

Hello Experts,

I have a scinario where i have to release the existing IP address of the service guard package for some other use. Do i will be able to run the package without new IP assiged? Please suggest.

Thanks & Regards,

Chirag Parikh

6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Yes, a package needs an IP address.  If it doesn't have one how are you going to access it?

The package IP address is independent of each server so that you just specify the package IP to access a package regardless of the cluster node it is currently running on.

Chirag Parikh
Frequent Advisor

Hi Patric,

I am going to perform a test for this on a non production cluster just to clear my doubt which is a better way to sort any queries. So lets wait for the outcome and i will update the logs later to that. Thanks for your valuable confirmation.

Thanks & Regards,

Chirag Parikh

Chirag Parikh
Frequent Advisor

Hi Patrick,

I did the testing, and surprisingly package run without having any IP configured in package conf file.

I did the cmgetconf -p PKG_NAME PKG_CONFFILE then removed the IP address from PKG_CONFFILE and did cmcheckconf and cmapplyconf. cmrunpkg did the job and pkg is running without IP address.

Thanks & Regards,

Chirag Parikh

chindi
Respected Contributor

Hi Chirag ,

Can you share netstat -nrv o/p just to ensure that the package is not running without IP ?

Murgesh_2
Advisor

Hi

Pkg runs without IP but in order to reach it form network you need to allocate the IP Info

Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor
Solution

A package does not -need- to do anything, if you don't want it to.  You can build a do-nothing package simply by building and loading the modular package configuration file "package_name" parameter and using cmapplyconf to create the package.  This can be useful in diagnosing modular package start/stop troubles.

However, as Patrick inferred, packages are usually built such that external users can access applications, which means those packages need a relocatable IP associated with the package so that the package can be moved around in the cluster if warranted by failure or system maintenance.