SOLVED
Go to solution
himacs
Super Advisor

adding new VG

Hi Admins,

B.11.23
SG 11.17

Do we need to stop cluster/pkg ,while adding new vg in to cluster?
Please find my POA which requires no downtime.

node1
Create VG with PV.
Create LVs
Export VG in preview mode to get map file
Copy map file to node2
Enter VG details in cluster config an pkg control files.
Activate the vg with -e option and manually mount the LVs

node 2.

Create VG and import details.
Modify the cluster config and pkg cntl files.

My point is during the pkg sitchover/failover ,new LVs will automatically moved to node 2 ,since LV details available in pkg file.

Please suggest.

Regards
himacs
4 REPLIES 4
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Re: adding new VG

No need to stop the packages.

There are similar threads available regarding this. You may have to search for further details.
Regards
Shibin
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor
Solution

for the most part you can add a new volume group and LV to a package while the cluster is up.

IDeally you want to add the VG and LVs to the package while the package is down since you will have a known starting state after umounting the filesystem and deactivating the volume group so you know the script is properly activating the vg and mounting the filesystem and undoing everything.

YOu could try adding the volume group and filesystems to a package while it is up but then you have to make sure the script or package configuration is absolutely correct and will undo everything without actually testing it on all of the nodes before putting it in production.

That is why many people take down the package and make the changes and let the package bring up everying and take it down so they have a chance to test it first.

You better make sure you modify the package ctl file on all the nodes.. not just on the 2nd node.

You could

Node 1
create vg
deactivate vg
vgchange -c y vgXX
vgchange -a e vgxx
create LVs
create mount points
create fs and mount fs
export VG with -m -p
Edit package run/halt script if legacy
copy script to other nodes

All other nodes
import vg -N (if using 11iv3)
create mount points
make sure script was updated

if package fails over to other nodes if your script was updated correctly it should umount the new filesystems and deactiveatve the VG and activate the new vg and mount the new filesystems on the other node.

himacs
Super Advisor

Hi Shibin,Emil,

Thanks for the info.

Actualy my main concern with cluster binary file not with pkg.Since i am adding new VG info in cluster file without halting the same.

Have you heard about cmcheck command which tells what parameters can be changed online/offline.

Regards
himacs
Abid Iqbal
Regular Advisor

Hi,
Run cmcheckconf with "-k -C cluster.ascii"