New Discussion юеВ

cmclconfig-How to edit?

SOLVED
Go to solution
joe_91
Super Advisor

cmclconfig-How to edit?

Team:

I need to know how i could edit and make changes to /etc/cmcluster/cmclconfig file 'coz when i do a strings cmclconfig|more i see some lines commented out there? Please advise.

Cheers
Joe.
12 REPLIES 12
Charles McCary
Valued Contributor

Re: cmclconfig-How to edit?

Joe,
the cmclconfig file is a binary file created when you run the command cmapplyconf. You should check into the ramifications of running this command before doing so.

thanks,

c
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe,

The cmclconfig file is the cluster binary file that gets created when you create or update your cluster with cmapplyconf. I don't think you can edit it.

What strings are you seeing that are commented out? Is your cluster configured like you want it and is it running ok? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

JP
BFA6
Respected Contributor

Hi,

cmclconfig is the cluster binary file. I wouldn't advise trying to edit this.

Have alook at cmclconf.ascii - this is the ascii file with cluster configuration information in it.

regards,

Hilary
joe_91
Super Advisor

Team:
There are some lines commented out for /networks/ip/subnets/ip-address. What does that mean?

Thanks
Joe.
Charles McCary
Valued Contributor

Joe,

could mean that you're not monitoring a subnet for every package that you're running and this could be ok.

If you look in the .conf file for each package you will see the subnet monitoring info.

tx,

c
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Joe,

The cmclconfig file is a binary file, so viewing it with 'strings' may show you a '#' at the start of a line, but I wouldn't take that to mean that the line is commented out. The only real way to know the data in the file would be to know the layout of the file, and that is proprietary to HP. If your cluster runs good and is configured like you want it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Here is what I see for the same entries from my cmclconfig file:

/networks
/networks/ip
/networks/ip/subnets
/networks/ip/subnets/10.100.13.0
8\/networks/ip/subnets/10.100.13.0/ips
1/nodes/fduxdb03/networks/ip/address/10.100.13.30
1/nodes/fduxdb2r/networks/ip/address/10.100.13.24
/networks/ip/subnets/192.168.1.0
9l/networks/ip/subnets/192.168.1.0/ips
1/nodes/fduxdb03/networks/ip/address/192.168.1.57
1/nodes/fduxdb2r/networks/ip/address/192.168.1.50

The entries at the start of the lines are binary fields that the 'strings' program is trying to translate to ASCII so that it can show it. If you really want to see the cmclconfig file you might need a hex editor.

JP

Carsten Krege
Honored Contributor

To view the contents of the cmclconfig binary, use cmviewconf. To change the contents of the cmclconfig binary edit the cluster ascii file and run cmapplyconf.

Anything else is not supported, error prone and can lead to unpredictable results.

Carsten
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- HhGttG
Elif Gius
Valued Contributor

Hi Joe,

cmclconfig ist the binary file which the cluster daemons is using. If you want to check how the actual settings looks, use either cmviewconf, cmgetconf or cmscancl.

Don't edit the binary file!!!
FOr changing the binary file, you have to edit the Control or Config-Files and then use cmcheckconf and after that cmapplyconf.

Bye
Elif
Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Joe,

I did a strings on my cmclconfig file and saw a "#" in front of a line designating an IP. Not to worry though, since cmclconfig is a binary, ServiceGuard doesn't interpret the "#" as a comment.

The binary is created using cmapplyconf with the cluster configuration file and each package's configuration file. Example:

# cmapplyconf -C CONF -P ./pkg1/conf -P ./pkg2/conf ...

CONF = filename of cluster ASCII configuration file
conf = filename a package configuration file

If you wish to inspect the source files that were used to create the binary, use the following processes:

- Recreate a cluster configuration file using cmclconfig as the source:
# cmgetconf

- Recreate a package configuration file using cmclconfig as the source:
# cmgetconf -p

-s.