4905 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

doubt in active active cluster

laiju.c.babu
Regular Advisor

doubt in active active cluster

Hi Team ,

In our environment we  have  HPUx machines from  11iv1 to 11iv3 .  

My doubt is can we able to configure an active active cluster in HPUX .  How can we check  any of the cluster is configured as active active mode ?

Regards

Laiju.C.Babu
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: doubt in active active cluster

The term active-active has many different meanings. It has been used to describe 2 nodes in a ServiceGuard cluster that are running packages at the same time. Another context is that you are running shared data volumes with something like Oracle RAC or Sybase ASE15 Cluster.

You can look at the cluster configuration with cmviewcl. Otherwise, contact your database administrators and ask them if they are running cluster services within the databases that are part of the Service Guard environment.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
laiju.c.babu
Regular Advisor

Hi Bill,

Thanks  for your reply .

Consider i had a two node cluster  contains Server A and Server B . And this two node cluster is configured for running 3 packages say  PackA , PackB and PackC .

My doubt is if PackA & PackB  running  in Server A nd   PackC is running in ServerB , then can we name this as an active active cluster

Can we able to  configure oracle RAC on service guard . 

As per my understanding for oracle RAC  configuration we just  need to  get the shared disk and just format and then DB will take care of rest , There is no need for service guard . Could you please correct me if i am wrong

Regards

Laiju.C.Babu
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Your example documents packages running on both nodes at the same time. In this case, packages may be moved between nodes as part of normal Service Guard managment.

Shared disks are a feature in Service Guard. Here is an example of Oracle RAC (version 10g) setup on HP-UX:

http://docs.oracle.com/html/B10766_08/prehpux.htm

As you can see, there are a lot of steps required.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
sapoguheman
Frequent Advisor

The most important thing which has to be taken care in Active Active cluster is the dependecy part.

Eg: Should your package run on another node when one node fails etc there can be many things which has to be taken care in Active Active clusters.

One of my client used Active-Active cluster one server for DB and another for Application and both are dependent to each other.

if DB is down application should not start and in case application fails it should not failover to the node where DB is running to avaoid performace issue.

It will depend on you how you are configuring the Active Active cluster for your convienience.