1751868 Members
5568 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G5 with attached MSA60 - unable to update firmware

matt01ss
Occasional Visitor

DL360 G5 with attached MSA60 - unable to update firmware

I've tried to read just about every article on the internet about how to update the firmware on the MSA60 but I can't quite seem to get mine to work.

A quick overview is that I'm currently on firmware 1.4 for the MSA60. I read that to go past 1.5 you need newer backplanes. I assumed ours were too old so I tried to purchase newer ones. (399050-001) Went from Revision 0B to Revision 0C.

I then tried using the HP SPP update utility along with CP013530.scexe (2.28 firmware) but it didn't recognize my p800 card. I then tried the HP Smart Update Firmware DVD but it also didn't recognize the controller card. In a last ditch effort, I tried using the HP ProLiant Firmware Maintenance CD 8.00 along with firmware 2.16. This time, it actually recognized the card and said I needed to update the MSA60.

Great I thought, finally it noticed my hardware. After a few seconds, the installation failed stating that I must update to a newer set of backplanes (454574-001, different part number but still a 'backplane', confusing..) and linked me to this article (http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01388517&lang=en-us&cc=us).

I'm very lost right now. I'm simply running a DL360 G5 with an MSA60 and a single I/O module. I'm stuck on firmware 1.4 and I just want to update so that I can utilize 2-TB SAS drives instead of the current 1-TB SAS drives.

Can anyone help me in any fashion, I'd really appreciate it.

-Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The article

h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01388517&lang=en-us&cc=us

is telling you there are midplane and backplanes to replaced. Did you do this? Compare the part numbers.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
matt01ss
Occasional Visitor

Several weeks ago, I spoke with an HPE tech rep about what was required in order to update the firmware to support those larger disks. It was stated from them that only the backplane replacement was necessary, which is why we ordered and replaced 399050-001 (which is the part I was told needed replacing). They stated that a midplane replacement wasn't necessary.

Also, the article is weird because it references what you need to do to work with 2 I/O modules, which we are not, we only have 1. It also states that "for HP MSA60...the replacement backplanes should be Revision B or later". Well the backplane I bought (399050-001) and put in there was in fact Revision C.

I also came across this article, which worries me a bit:

http://community.hpe.com/t5/Storage-Area-Networks-SAN-Small/MSA60-Firmware-update/td-p/6749863

This user seems to have tried much of the same procedure that I have, but has essentially bricked their MSA60 because of non-updateable firmware.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I vaguely remember that you need to disable the built-in smart array if the msa is connected to a P800.

Try to disable the P4x0 smart array in BIOS, the boot the firmware DVD/USB and try the update.

This update has to be done offline anyway.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!