MSA Storage
1753317 Members
5140 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

HP 2000 SAS SAN & HYPER-V and MPIO slow performance 2012 MS hotfix?

david hood_2
Occasional Contributor

HP 2000 SAS SAN & HYPER-V and MPIO slow performance 2012 MS hotfix?

Hi

I saw this today MS KB and was wondering if I should be applying this to my Hyper-V 2012 cluster.

I haven't seen any performance issues however, it is early days for us migrating VMs to this new cluster.

we have a p2000 sas san with hyper-v cluster so I am unsure if I should be applying this. 

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Dave

4 REPLIES 4
PAC-MAN
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP 2000 SAS SAN & HYPER-V and MPIO slow performance 2012 MS hotfix?

Hi David,

It is clear that MS recomends to change PSP only when slow performace noted during heavy workload in a direct attach SAN, Also from the article we see the issue occurs only with Round Robin. I also checked the latest firmware version TS250P002 released this month below is the revison history, but no fix related to PSP

The following issue was fixed in TS250P002:

• Fixed the problem with aborting Atomic Test-andSet (ATS) commands.
  • Fixed the hanging controller issue that is seen during several iterations of the VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) failover and failback process.
  • Fixed the Atomic Test-and-Set logic that set the incorrect error state condition and subsequently crash the array controllers.
  • A trust failure no longer clears the partially reconstructed state of a HDD.
  • Partner Firmware Update (PFU) now functions properly when the new Management Controller (MC) version matches the old MC version.
  • All events are now properly processed by HP SIM.

If you face any performance issue we can try a different PSP. Also if you would like to update the firmware to latest please click here to download.

Hope this helps!

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! star in the left column!
david hood_2
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the reply. 

What is PSP? I assume you dont mean proilaint support pack...

david hood_2
Occasional Contributor

urh my bad. path selection...

we are currently using round robin, which the article suggest is affected. 

its just a new install so not much load yet, but I would hate to go back later saying "well there is this hotfix etc etc..."

So i'm guessing the recommendation from HP is not to apply?

saiprasad
Occasional Advisor

Hi David 

As per the KB Article ,  the solution is 

"To resolve this issue, obtain updated firmware from your disk vendor. "

On P2000 SAS Array all the firmware releases have the capability of the load balancing at SAS port level. So it may not be relevant to this array.

However we have a latest controller firmware released for this array on July-12 . (TS250P002 )

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=4118559&swItem=MTX-ee9a4b0cfa4f4c479c987ea3ba&prodNameId=4310834&swEnvOID=4138&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

Upgrade requirement to this version is :  " recommended " HP recommends users update to this version at their earliest convenience.

Thanks 

Sai