1748215 Members
3373 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP EVA storageworks M5314

callumd
Occasional Contributor

HP EVA storageworks M5314

Hello people, this is my first post and I am not very good with storage arrays or SAN. I recently purchased an HP storageworks storage array, part # 344819-b21. It is a 14 bay storage enclosure, i have populated 8 fibre channel 146gb hard drives. Rest of the bays are empty. It is a preowned unit so the only other thing i got is a 2 prong cable. I have connected that cable from EVA to my rack server's fibre channel card. The setup does not seem to work. I dont have HP EVA command view 4 and it looks like version 4 is not available anymore. I tried version 4.1 but the setup asked for EVA command view 4. Where can i get version 4. Second question, will my setup work? Do i need any other kind of cable or device? I have fibre channel card in EVA and in server. How can i see the drives in my server OS? I am running server 2008 R2.

5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, 

do you also have controllers EVA3000/5000 or only the M5314?

callumd
Occasional Contributor

Only M5314 with FC card & 8 FC hard drives. I didn't get any other controllers. The server has Emulex FC card. Should I be getting anything else from the seller?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You don't have an EVA, you just have a single disk shelf. You need the EVA controllers and depending of model interanl switches too.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
callumd
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Torsten, so essentially I need EVA and switches to make it a SAN, understood. What best can I make out of what I have? The storage encolusre HP StorageWorks M5314 FC Drive Enclosure shows all the disks as locally attached in disk management console. I can see all the disks, obviously cant create LUN because I dont have administration software for it. The FC cards are from QLogic & the OS is server 2012. 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> I can see all the disks, obviously cant create LUN because I dont have administration software for it.

You just have disks, but you need array controllers to create a LUN.

Maybe you can create a kind of software RAID (e.g. LVM) on the disks. There are a couple of related threads in the forum.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!