New Discussion юеВ

HSG80 & EVA Retirement June 2006?

SOLVED
Go to solution
James Spooner
Occasional Advisor

HSG80 & EVA Retirement June 2006?

Hi guys,

I was just copied on a notice received from HP regarding our support contract on our HSG80's. The letter claims "HP Services will no longer be available for Platform Kits for HP StorageWorks G80 and EVA Controllers as of June 30, 2006". Also "Remedial Support will be provided through the Customer Support Centres in accordance with the provisions of your maintenance contract through but not beyond June 30th 2006".

Obviously this is an EOL statement but I need further clarification... Does this mean if I have a failure on an HSG80 controller, cache module, or battery for example, spares will no longer be available under contract?

This one sort of caught us by surprise.. :)
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HSG80 & EVA Retirement June 2006?

James:

The HSG80 series was EoL'ed a long time ago, has to be over a year now and more.

If you have a hardware suport contract, I am sure HP will honor it and supply you with the parts. I think all they are saying is that HP Field Service will come out and replace a failed or expired Cache battery for you (being it is a rather simple process).

As for the EVA, do you mean the EVA 3k/5k? HP just released new EVA's and the line is not likely to be EoL's for at least another year or more (the 3k/5k) even though they will not be shipping many more of them, if any at all.

Not an employee of HP so i can not say for sure, just my opinion.

Steven.
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
James Spooner
Occasional Advisor

Re: HSG80 & EVA Retirement June 2006?

Hi guys,

Perhaps a false alarm.. I just got clarification on the memo from an inside contact at HP in CAS...

"This is a June 2006 EOSL notice. I believe what is happening is that they will be supported in a different way and may be included in the hardware support pricing. It's not that the product is going end-of-service life, it's that the part number is going end-of-service life."

Thanks...