MSA Storage
1753758 Members
4958 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HSG80 error 0294000A (can somebody explain this error)

jdan
Occasional Advisor

HSG80 error 0294000A (can somebody explain this error)

Hi,
Anybody old enough to remember error codes for the HSG80? I have one that is giving me what looks like a disk error but after replacing disks, shelf, cables, controller and everything else in the path (except the chassis) I continue to get Sense Key MEDIUM ERROR with instance code of 0294000A.

When I do 'run fmu'
fmu> describe instance 0294000A

It says:
"A requested block of data contains a forced error. A forced error occurs when a disk block is successfully reassigned, but the data in that block is lost. Re-writing the disk block will clear the forced error condition. The information field of the device sense data contains the block number of the first block in error."

Can somebody explain the above explanation? What specifically must I do to clear a "forced error"?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: HSG80 error 0294000A (can somebody explain this error)

Is that a JBOD or a stripe set?

It means that on a read operation the data could not be read and no redundancy was present to do a "bad block repair". The bad block was internally of the disk reallocated to a good block, but as the data is lost it is marked with a "forced error" so that future read operations will not return invalid data.

As the explanation says, the error will be cleared once you write new data into that block.
jdan
Occasional Advisor

If I understand you correctly the raid device is good and this error is just a notice that some data was lost. Is that correct?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes. It was a disk error and the data could not be 'repaired' by the HSG.