108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 1040: How to discover WWN initiator

EderPardeiro
Occasional Contributor

MSA 1040: How to discover WWN initiator

MSA 1040: How to discover WWN initiator[ New ]

Good Morning,

I'm Braziliam and my english is very bad, any form I will try explain my quest.

This is may scenary:

I have a MSA 1040 Storage, 1 volume with 1TB created and need presend this volume to server.

The server have two HBA controllers.

First I create two iniciators, one for each ports of HBA:

Discovery

After that, I map (Volumes > Action > Map Volume) the volume for WWN's above, see below:

Mapped

Even mapped, I can not see the volume on the server.

My suspicion is that it is not showing up because even though I presented the WWN, the storage could not discover it, as shown inthe first picture.

How to solve this problem? I'm doing the right way?

Wait answers,

3 REPLIES 3
rkjha_hp
Advisor

Hi, Is the server connected direct to MSA or through SAN Switch. According change the initiator topology to either point-to-point(PTP) or loop.

Secondly also verify the FC HBA drivers has been installed and its getting detected in device manager in server.

Regards,

Rajneesh

EderPardeiro
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have a HP 8/20 SAN Switch connecting server to storage. I don't have access to settings of this switch, I will try this.

About driver, I have the last HBA driver version installed.

thanks for you answer...

iamjawad
Advisor

Hello,

Hello,

Check if you have created the initiator correctly.

Creating an initiator.

To create an initiator

1. Determine the FC or SAS WWN or iSCSI IQN to use for the initiator.
  2. In the Hosts topic, select Action > Create Initiator. The Create Initiator panel opens.
  3. In the Initiator ID field, enter the WWN or IQN. A WWN value can include a colon between each pair of digits but the colons will be discarded.
  4. In the Initiator Name field, enter a nickname that helps you easily identify the initiator. For example, you could use MailServer_FCp1. An initiator name is case sensitive and can have a maximum of 32 bytes. It cannot already exist in the system or include the following: " , . < \ If the name is used by another initiator, you are prompted to enter a different name.
  5. In the Profile list, select the appropriate option: ¢ Standard. Default profile. ¢ HP-UX. The host uses Flat Space Addressing.
  6. Click OK. The initiator is created and the hosts table is updated

Adding initiators to a host

To add an initiator to a host, the initiator must have the same mappings as all other initiators in the host. This means that the initiator must be mapped with the same access, port, and LUN settings to the same volumes or volume groups. To add initiators to a host

1. In the Hosts topic, select 1–128 named initiators to add to a host.
  2. Select Action > Add to Host. The Add to Host panel opens.
  3. Perform one of the following: ¢ To use an existing host, select its name in the Host Select list. ¢ To create a host, enter a name for the host in the Host Select field. An host name is case sensitive and can have a maximum of 32 bytes. It cannot already exist in the system or include the following: " , . < \
  4. Click OK. For the selected initiators, the Host value changes from -nohost- to the specified host name.

Regards,

Jawad Ahmed

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!