108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2040 Automated Tiering

SOLVED
Go to solution
RajaS
Occasional Advisor

MSA 2040 Automated Tiering

I wanted to implement MSA 2040 Automated Tiering between SSD disks and SAS disks. Does any one have experience of implementing MSA 2040 Automated Tiering? Please share steps of implementing or any guide on how to perform this.

9 REPLIES 9
giladzzz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

first off all you need a license

then you create a disk pool and put in that disk pool 2 disk groups one of SAS disks and one of SSD disks

download "HP MSA 2040 SMU Reference Guide" read about virtual disk groups on page 73.

Regards

RajaS
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your reply.

I have the performance tiering license. What is the next step to perform after creating virtual disk groups to configure tiering.

AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

- Create a Virtual Pool and a disk group.
- Create a volume and add it to a pool.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

once you have created a disk pool and a disk group it is automaticly defined as performance pool because of your license. you have to create a volume from that pool and map it to your host tiering is done because of the properties of the pool.

Regards

CubanFrog
Occasional Visitor

Will the Automated Tiering work across controllers or does both disk groups have to be on the same one?

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

when you create a pool it is attached to a controller ( one pool for each controller)

this means that both disk groups in the pool are controlled by the same controller.

of course if the controller fails the other controller takes ownership.

so the best would be to create two pools one for each controller. this means you would need 4

disk groups 2 for SAS disks and 2 for SSD disks to use the system efficiently

Regards

CubanFrog
Occasional Visitor

That is what I though.

But in my case I have 4 SSD and 20 SAS… so I ended up creating 1 Raid 5 with all 4 SSD, 2 x 9 SAS Raid 5 and 2 global spares all on the same controller.  :(

I dont know what else can be done with my setup.

kwolton
Occasional Visitor

I'm in the same boat, only i have 19 SAS, 5 SSD.

So i configured:

1 x Raid 5 with 9 SAS disks & 3 Raid-5 SSD disks on Pool A

1 x Raid-5 with 9 SAS disks & 2 Raid-1 SSD disks on Pool B

1 x Global Spare SAS

Is there a better way of doing this?

ACampbell1

HI, what was the resolution around your config??