5687 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2040 vdisk in linear mode or virtual pool

amatteo78
Visitor

MSA 2040 vdisk in linear mode or virtual pool

Hello,

Im new with MSA 2040 with iSCSI 4 x Giga controller, I create vdisk in linear and I config controller A as owner and preferred, I aspect if it failed change owner to B.

I have 2 question:

In "linear" mode I have some way to use both controller to balace traffic ?

Other question, I try build new feature "virtual pool" but I can associate only 1 controller, so I can't understand if it failed, it works as liner and change to other controller ? or if it faild I loose link ?

Thanks

M.

P.S. This thread has been moved from general to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business). - Hp Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Prakash Singh_1
HPE Pro

Hi,

MSA 2040 Best practices white paper and the user guide should explain you.

Best Practice : http://h50146.www5.hp.com/products/storage/whitepaper/pdfs/4AA4-6892ENW.pdf

User Guide: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03792322

Regards,

PS
To assign points on this post? Click the white Thumbs up below!
amatteo78
Visitor

Hello,

I read your docs, inside BP I understand if I use pool, I can't balanace same pool on both controllers, is it correct ? 

Then... if I choose linear, BP explain better map at least 1 port or more on second controller, but when I configure I can't map second controller, I can only choose what is "owner" and when I try map ports I see only 1,2,3,4 port, but I can't choose  what controller ? why ?

Thanks

M.

DJMC
Regular Advisor

Hi M,

You are correct, the virtual pool, and all volumes created within it are assigned to only one controller. All the features such as thin provisioning, widestripping and tierd storage all operate within that Pool. 

Even though a volume is owned by one controller it can be mapped to ports on both controllers, so if the owning controller fails the other will take ownership of the volume and IO can continue.

I hope this helps.

D