1753404 Members
7027 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA2040 hot plug D2700

rdeeming
Occasional Visitor

MSA2040 hot plug D2700

We have an MSA2040 in production nothing attached.  Now we have a D2700 to be attached to it.

Per the document for the D2700 "User Guide" it states, under connecting the SAS cables, to ensure the controller is powered down.

Is this a precaution of the possible unknown or is it a fact the D2700 can not safely be hot pluged into the MSA2040?

Thx

3 REPLIES 3
TTechnology
Occasional Contributor

I had the same situation. One MSA2040  iSCSI and new D2700. Hot plugging worked fine for me. 

Also I have attached D2700 and P2000 LFF enclosure to P2000 G3 on the fly and the only issue I had some false alarms reported in SMU about power supplies on the newly attached enclosures, but restarting management controllers fixed the problem.

rdeeming
Occasional Visitor

When plugging in the D2700 with the controller up the other day, as mentioned, a few events were triggered as follows:

MSA 2040 SAN Error: DRIVE_ENCLOSURE

EVENT ID:#B50148

EVENT CODE:168

MSA 2040 SAN Error: FRU_PROBLEM

EVENT ID:#B50149

EVENT CODE:314

Storage system reported the tray and drives just fine.

TTechnology
Occasional Contributor

I just wanted to stress out one thing - the hot add procedure is different for different cabling types. 

Basically, MSA and enclosures can be cabled using straight-through or fault-tolerant methods. 

The MSAs I expanded with new enclosures were using straight-through cabling. 

However, for fault-tolerant cabling the hot-add procedure is a bit different. Here is what HP recommends

The procedure to hot add a disk enclosure is the following:

NOTE:It is strongly recommend to take a full backup , then schedule this task when usage is down to the absolute minimal activity.

1. No hard disk should be installed on the brand new enclosures, doing so would push the P2000 to configure too many different components at once.
  1. Shutdown controller A, re-cabling the path for controller “A”, and then reseat the controller to start it.
  2. Wait at least for 2 minutes to confirm that controller A has booted and has found the new enclosures.
  3. Shutdown controller B, re-cabling the path for controller “B”, and then reseat the controller to start it.
  4. Wait at least for 2 minutes to confirm that controller B has booted and has found the new enclosures.
  5. Check the enclosurefirmware, if outdated, update them to the current firmware version.
  6. Then add the hard disks, no more than two at a time, allow 20 to 30 seconds , then confirm that SMU has recognized them.
  7. Repeat this operation until all the disks have been installed and detected